Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Thursday, September 26, 2019

Your Dying Spouse 677 - Broken To Joy {FMF}

I guess all of this, the cancer and the pain and the humiliation, in body and ego, had to be, so that God could see me complete.

Honestly, it's been worthwhile. I have found a depth of gratitude for the simple, small things in life. There had been so much striving, such dreams!

The dreams are broken now, as my body is breaking.

But the small graces remain, and if I choose to hold them in my hands, they grow to fill the space in my heart I had thought emptied.

God does not take away, without giving much, much more.

And I would not trade this, for anything.

There's nothing now that will arrest
the decline and then the fall,
but those who know me will attest
that I don't mind at all.
Sure, I guess it might be better
to live a life of normal length,
but to live in joy unfettered
is a blessing and a strength.
Only now my eyes were opened
to the things that God's prepared,
and for delight I was first broken;
past despair, I stayed and cared.
On this old saw my days are pegged:
"Ain't no omelette with an unbroke egg."

Music from Needtobreathe, with Keep Your Eyes Open.



Thanks to Carol Ashby, Blessed Are The Pure Of Heart is back on Kindle, and will be available in paperback soon.

Friends are everything. I couldn't have done it.

Marley, the canine waif from Afghanistan, whom WE helped save, has a Facebook page! Please drop by to see how happy he is today.


Below are my recent releases on Kindle -please excuse their presence in the body of the blog. I haven't the energy to get them up as 'buttons' in the sidebar. You can click on the covers to go to the Amazon links.







25 comments:

  1. Beautiful and inspiring as always, Andrew! Love and hugs to you, Barb and your canine friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayl, thank you so much! Love and hugs back from all of us (with lots of baring).

      Delete
    2. Barking, not 'baring'...I was just reading about Maurice Baring, Lord Trenchard's aide during WW1, so there you go...

      Delete
  2. Amen! We can't receive if our hands are clutched closed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Anita. Than you so much for being here.

      Delete
  3. Wow. as always. Wow. Our drink offering, poured out for us. Day after day. I keep seeing you as the Hacksaw Ridge guy: "One more, Lord. One more." Prayers and (gentle) hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jane, golly...that is high praise indeed, and I am just so grateful.

      Thank you for the prayers and hugs, and know that you remain in our prayers.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, Andrew! You have been more "successful" than you will ever realize this side of eternity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, I am so honoured by your words. Thank you, with all my heart.

      Delete
  5. Andrew, this is so beautiful and it is a lesson that we all must learn regardless of our circumstances because the small graces is what makes life so worth living. I am feeling truly blessed by this post. Hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, thank you so much for this lovely affirmation, and I am blessed in turn by your words, and by your presence here.

      Hugs back!

      Delete
  6. "joy unfettered" is such a beautiful image! And to know it can be a reality is the most wonderful gift. Oh, to just reach out and accept it...

    I watched the Ken Burns "Country Music" series the past couple of weeks, and the final night's music keeps going through my head and brings you to mind often, Andrew. It's Vince Gill singing "Go Rest High on that Mountain." Whenever God reaches out His hand to you, it's my prayer for you, brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I LOVE that song, and I so appreciate that it's your prayer for me. Thank you, my friend.

      Delete
  7. I'm always inspired by how God is working in you and through you on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley, thank you so much...and please know how inspiring your writing is to me. You're a giant in the Christian landscape.

      Delete
  8. So glad you stopped by my blog earlier, Andrew. Praying that you have those who are supporting you, guiding you and even "cheering you along" as you complete your race here on earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I always gain in both understanding and wisdom from your words, an I am so glad you share your heart with us.

      And thank you so much for your prayers; this process, though it may be painful, has broken open my heart, as the egg is broken to allow the fledgling to take wing.

      Delete
  9. God's been showing the brokenness in the lives of others lately, and helping me to realize that really, even if sometimes I struggle, I have it pretty good. REALLY indeed. And it is good learning. Visiting from #47 at FMF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette, it took me a LONG time to accept that being broken is not only OK, but it's vital.

      And I still struggle with the concept, proud me.

      Thanks so much for being here.

      Delete
  10. Love this, Andrew, especially this line: "God does not take away, without giving much, much more." Amen! If only we could really see He is truly doing what is best!

    Thanks so much for dropping by my blog and sharing one of your poems in the comments. It's a gift to find you've been by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerralea, thank you so much for this...and thank you for sharing your heart and faith on your lovely, heart-strengthening blog.

      Reading your words is a privilege.

      Delete
  11. Your words in your poem, Andrew, remind me of Job's words after he had woken up to all that God had been doing in his life, even as it all seemed to fall apart. I'm so glad you are thriving spiritually, if not physically. Prayers are being lifted and you and Barbara are always in my thoughts as well, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, thank you for this...Job's story is such a help to me in these days, and truly, I would not have missed this for the world.

      I have finally found the Real God...and you, my friend, have been a HUGE help, the decisive help, in my building a relationship with Jesus.

      And we so appreciate your prayers!

      Delete
  12. It's not a seamless life but it has beauty nevertheless. Powerful words, Andrew. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Norma, thank you so much for these words, your unflinching support, and for your love.

      You are a blessing in my life, and I am just so darned grateful.

      Delete