Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Your Dying Spouse 670 - When God Seems Absent

The hardest thing about being a Christian is that God can sometimes feel so far away.

We're enjoined to a personal relationship with Christ, and things go horribly wrong, and He's not there.

What do you do, when faith seems ephemeral?

I don't know what to tell you. I can only describe what I do.

  1. I remind myelf the the factual basis of Christianity; the independently verified existence of Jesus, the willingness of the Apostles to face death in spreading the Gospel (they would not have done this for a known or strongly suspected lie), the complexity of Creation that defies a random start to existence, and the call within me to do things that are contrary to animal-nature.
  2. I remind myself that the human heart is an inconstant thing, feelings are fleeting, and that feelings are a large part of faith.
  3. I remind myself that it's OK to not be OK, and to hold on...that things will change.
And that, really, is enough.


I'm searching for You everywhere,
but I am fogbound, cast adrift;
can it be that You no longer care,
and that I shall forever be bereft?
Once upon a golden starlit time
I felt my safety in Your hands,
but I have come into a hellish clime,
alone in sulphurous fire-lands.
Comes a voice beside my ear,
a voice so still and small
that I must lean toward, in fear
that, fading, it can't be heard at all.
"Hold fast, although the night has come;
there will be morning, and the Son."

Music from Mr. Mister, with Kyrie.


Thanks to Carol Ashby, Blessed Are The Pure Of Heart is back on Kindle, and will be available in paperback soon.

Friends are everything. I couldn't have done it.

Marley, the canine waif from Afghanistan, whom WE helped save, has a Facebook page! Please drop by to see how happy he is today.


Below are my recent releases on Kindle -please excuse their presence in the body of the blog. I haven't the energy to get them up as 'buttons' in the sidebar. You can click on the covers to go to the Amazon links.









8 comments:

  1. (((((Andrew)))))

    Of course, you well know that "now we see through a glass dimly, but then face to face." I have clung to that truth more than once. Oh, what a wonder and a joy it will be when we clearly see His plan. As my mother's friend (watched her own daughter die of cancer) says, "God doesn't make mistakes." I'm praying for your physical and spiritual comfort tonight.

    Annie in Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((((((Annie!))))))

      It will indeed be a wonder and a joy when we see Him, face to face, and learn of His plan.

      I'm inspired by the courage of your mother's friend, who in the face of that dreadful loss can hold to the truth of God's infallibility.

      Thank you so much for your prayers!

      Delete
  2. There WILL be morning, Andrew. He's holding on to you... you don't even have to do the holding on right now. And as my husband often tells me when I don't "feel" any of the feels of Jesus I wish that I would, he says, " Jane, soldiers on the frontline, aren't thinking or feeling all heavenly and goosebumpy, they're in over their heads, busy dodging bullets." Please read this post by my friend, Bo Stern, when she found herself in the midst of watching (and caretaking) her husband die from ALS. It is an allegory of being lead to have a feast in the presence of her enemies... http://www.bostern.com/blog/2010/10/15/banquets-and-bullets/ .......... Hang in there, Andrew. You are fighting a good fight. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, thank you so much for this...I do know that He's holding on, and the worse it gets (and it's getting kinda really truly bad) the more I feel it.

      Thank you so much for the link. Heading there now.

      And know that you are in our prayer.

      Delete
  3. Look at all the events in the Bible when things that seemed hopeless showed God's glory instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The harder things seem, the more Jesus hangs on to us. THANK GOD FOR THAT! Because I'm really needing Him to carry me through a lot lately.

    But morning always comes, and with it a new hope for the day. We're praying that you feel that hope and are comforted by God's Mighty Love and are covered in His Grace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, yes, hope rises with the on..

      You and Jerry are in our prayers.

      Delete