Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Your Dying Spouse 359 - God Give Me Strength

Can't believe it can be getting worse, but it is.

Nonetheless, God gives me the strength to stand in the fires of hell and spit flame back into the devil's face.

With interest.

This is really getting tiresome, but as long as God wants me to stand, I guess that is what I will have to do.

It does get harder to reinvent reasons and methodology to keep up my morale. It used to be, I can beat this and get well.

Then it was I can fight this for as long as I have to, and cope with the pain.

The next step back from the line in th sand was I can live honourably with this,and push myself hard to use the time I have left to good effect.

Now I spend a lot of my time doing...well, not much of anything. Blog posts are getting shorter, and participation in the blogging community more limited, because I run out of energy too fast.

There are walls that you can't scale.

I can be defiant, as related above, but that's almost all I can do.

It really does come down to Ephesians 6:13:

Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Our faith in God's promise is our only armour, the only thing standing between us and the despair of the abyss.

It's the promise that our lives have meaning, our pain has a purpose, and that there will be a reckoning, a healing of harms.

The promise can be diluted in so many ways, by the secular messages we choose to heed, by the covetous comparison that rises in our hearts when we see others effortlessly surpassing us in the fulfillment of dreams, and in the twisted messages of some churchmen, who would have us believe that the Bible is a dynamic entity, growing to meet modern times, and that it's a support for our prosperity in this world.

So much for Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and forever.

The truth is that evil was, and evil is, and that we need the full support of the Almighty to face it. We can't do this alone; we never could, and all of the modern messages and relevancy and re-interpretation don't add up to a hill of beans.

And it's not a cute game for children, with wooden swords and plastic shields and sharing on Facebook and Instagram.

It's not something for dealing with nasty bosses and wilfully malicious co-workers and malingering employees.

There's real evil out there, the kind that seeks to murder us in our homes, the kind that will invade our bodies in the form of cancer and far worse, the kind that will defeat our despairing souls.

And there is only one way to resist.

Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God...


I do ask that you be patient with my slow replies to your comments (which we treasure). I'm trying to stay caught up.

Still hoping to get the new and improved version of Blessed Are The Pure Of Heart up and running in the near future. Just haven't had the energy to do it yet...but if you would like to read it, please say so in your comment and I'd be glad to send you a PDF (which should fit your Kindle).



I have another blog, "Starting The Day With Grace". The focus is a grace quote from someone you might not expect (like, say Mick Jagger) and a short commentary. I hope you'll join me.



Marley update... been moved to a sanctuary, and Bay County will revise their 'dangerous dog' codes.

WE MADE A DIFFERENCE!

And marley has a Facebook page! Please drop by to see how happy he is today.


If you can, please do leave a comment. I am trying to answer all, and I am failing, but please know this - I read and treasure each one.

Below are my recent releases on Kindle -please excuse their presence in the body of the blog. I haven't the energy to get them up as 'buttons' in the sidebar. You can click on the covers to go to the Amazon links.











18 comments:

  1. How coincidental that I've been totally focused for several days on making sure that I put on the full armor of God each day. It's sometimes very unnerving to realize just how many forms evil has taken in this world, in every aspect of our human condition. Yet the God of angel armies is always by our side. The evil one cannot defeat us... not when we know the Truth and have such backing!

    You keep spitting flame back in Satan's face!! (I can almost imagine it!) And we will keep praying for you and Barb and your canine fan club!

    By the way, this is what I have been claiming lately --> "Whom Shall I fear [God of Angel Armies]" by Chris Tomlin

    Standing the gap for you and worshipping His Holy Name! \o/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, there may some synergy at work...this post was originally much shorter as I am in very poor shape, but for some reason the words kept going.

      The evil one will not win. The truth is our best weapon.

      Love the Tomlin song! I know it well...and we truly appreciate your prayers.

      Delete
  2. Wow.
    You brought a powerful sermon this time, Andrew! It's so true that I can't even joke about anything. And boy isn't it scary to stand in the face of that evil!?
    I am reminded of every Hollywood moment that the little guy is about to get smushed and then from behind you see their big brother or the beefy backup helper. Satan thinks he's got us cornered and then He sees Jesus on the white horse full of power and holiness. We don't win our battle alone but we know the troops are coming. I am picturing Lord of the rings when Gandalf is in white (not mixing Gandalf and Jesus here) and comes down the mountainside with the reinforcements.
    We as humans desperately hope but often despair when hope has a different timeline than ours.
    You are speaking hope more and more, Andrew, and that in itself is a great victory!
    Love,
    Tammy

    PS what did the pirate say on his 80th birthday???
    "Aye, matey."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, please pardon my delay in replying. Days have been bad.

      It is scary to face down evil, every time. Not knowing fear would be inhuman, or crazy. And I'm all too human, though I HAVE been called crazy.

      Hope has to be my native language now, my friend.

      Love back, from all of us.

      And I love the joke!

      Delete
  3. I'm sure that the physical fight you wage each day has a way of galvanizing your perspective on the spiritual fight we all face each day, Andrew. You see what really matters and what needs to be kept in mind and action more than we do. So I thank you for pushing through your pain to deliver an inspiring message each week, each day. It is not in vain but wholly received with joy and gladness! Hugs and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, first,please pardon my delayed response.

      You are right; the physical fight (which has gotten WORSE since I wrote this post!!!) does galvanize and focus the spiritual perspective, and even more so focuses the understanding that connexion with the Almighty is dynamic; I have to be ready to meet Him anew every hour, because my situation will change and His Help will come in a different 'package'...if that makes sense?

      It's truly an honour to be here,and to be able to channel some measure of God's grace.

      And the hugs and prayers are sure appreciated!

      Delete
  4. Andrew, Pain has a way of draining hope. Your patient persistence in sharing Christ in the midst of yours is inspiring. May He blanket you in His peace and love today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thank you so much for this. He is indeed enfolding me in peace and love, however bad the pain.

      Thank you so much for being here!

      Delete
  5. Where would we be without the Armor of God. We're starting a study on this next Tuesday night with our ladies' group.

    Praying for you as God brings you to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, please pardon my delayed reply...and yes, without God's Armour we would be truly lost.

      What a wonderful study for your group!

      And I thank you so very much for your prayers.

      Delete
  6. Andrew, such a good post. And I love, LOVE that song.

    And this right here: "It's the promise that our lives have meaning, our pain has a purpose, and that there will be a reckoning, a healing of harms."

    This offers hope in the darkest of times. Andrew, your life has much meaning. And, though I HATE that your pain is so severe, God is using you in the lives of many. You minister to the hearts of those who read your words here and your comments on our blogs. Can't tell you how much those words mean!

    God does reckon all things. And He strengthens and gives rest. Praying for you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, I am so honoured by your words. It's beyond anything I can say. Thank you for this; you've given my heart brilliant Son-light in a dark time.

      Thank you so much for the prayers!

      Delete
  7. Your journey teaches me so much. All those cute little Christian phrases, you put light to them. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thank you...and the journey has taught ME a lot. I would not trade the learning for anything, even for the return of my health.

      Love you back!

      Delete
  8. Yes indeed! Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. The Bible does not change when culture changes. What a solid foundation we have when our lives are built on Him and the never-changing truths from His Word.

    I'm praying for you today as you put on the armor of God and continue to stand. May God strengthen you for the battle.

    Love the song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, you're so right! The Bible ignores culture; it's all about Truth.

      So glad you enjoyed the song, and thank you so much for your prayers! You are in our.

      Delete
  9. I am impressed at your great strength through your pain and taking the time to share your hope and inspiration with others. Are you a minister? I am sorry but I do not know what your deathly illness is if you wish to share. Yes evil is out there, and probably worse than ever. I may be naive but I do not understand why people are not more loving to one another. It is not difficult! Technology perhaps? I have experienced more of a psychological force of evil than a physical one though I have lived a fairly long life, and that can be as deadly as a cancer. I am glad you have your wife to be by your side. That is a huge blessing. Thank you for inspiring me in my own battles, and we are all there holding your hand during this unthinkable time, you are not alone. Don't do nothing.....float on a puffy soft white cloud with a rainbow overhead and listen to the sweetest of music while your skin is soothed with aromatic scents, and you imagine us all there with you while you share your most treasured memories and words with us. Thank you for being who you are right now, this moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophia, I'm so grateful for your words, and for your presence here.

      I'm not a minister, I'm afraid. I was a mercenary, soldier-for-hire, and after that a college teacher. And the evil is pancreatic cancer, with now the added possibility of non-Hodgkins lymphoma (for which I'm symptomatic).

      You're so right; it is not hard to be loving, but I have seen people who were killed because their grandparents went to the wrong church. I've stood in a mass grave to gather forensics that would allow the identification and 'chastisement' of those responsible. Don't ask.

      I really appreciate your being with me here, and LOVE the image of the puffy soft white cloud. You don't know how much I need that, Sophia!

      Delete