Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Tuesday, December 5, 2023

The Misguided Loyalties Of Christmas 3: Keeping Up With The Joneses


 

We've all seen the commercials...a luxury car with a bow on the roof, standing in the driveway on Christmas morning.

Or the modest envelope in the stocking, holding tickets for a Caribbean cruise.

Do you wish you could give that, instead of socks and a couple of CDs?

Do people even buy CDs anymore?

And so we spend our way into debt. It's Christmas, after all, and we've been offered a deal where we won't have to pay a dime until March! (Interest will, of course, accrue.)

We'll pay it off before next Christmas.

But somehow, we never do, and debt, like middle-age spread, grows.

We do our best to keep up with the Joneses, but it exacts a toll...and somehow we always fall behind. The chimera of the social success of our generosity gets further from our reach.

Does it bring joy, bring us to the meaning of Christmas?

Next Christmas, will anyone remember what we worked so hard to pick, and went into debt to give?

God has something to say about keeping up with the Joneses, in Galatians 6:4...

But let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.

You need not find joy in measuring yourself against what your neighbour does...find it in what you can, and should, do.

And going into debt is not what you should do.

The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender. - Proverbs 22:7

If we're using extravagant gift-giving to impress others and gain their affection, well, Proverbs 19:4 addresses that.

Wealth maketh many friends; but the poor is separated from his neighbour.

Really, is all of the stress we put on ourselves, trying to be loyal to a mythical past, trying to please family and friends, and trying to measure up to the standards society sets needed for the celebration of Christmas?

We can all chorus No!, but are we willing to take a step into the unknown, and have a different kind of Christmas?

A Christmas that nods to that manger, so long ago, when love came to save us.

I hope I am.

Music from the Goo Goo Dolls, with Better Days

Sylvia doesn't worry about keeping up with the Joneses. She just wants to eat her ice cream before it melts.



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

11 comments:

  1. Those commercials always drive me crazy. Yet the choice is ours to make each and every Christmas as to the gifts we will give. May we give wisely and with meaning. And to answer the question ... I still buy CD's :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, I don't watch commercial TV any more, mainly to avoid the adverts.

      And yes, it is a choice...and I buy CDs, too!

      Delete
  2. Andrew, great thoughts. I confess, I watch very little television, but I do find myself comparing gifts sometimes (in my thoughts) with what those I know are giving or receiving. Those kinds of thoughts never lead to a healthy place. Where our thoughts should be fixed is on Who we are celebrating: Jesus. Thank you for this apt reminder, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, you're so right... comparison never turns out well.

      I try to focus on JC, too. The world would distract me if it could!

      Delete
  3. It is a shame that material gifts can become such a focus and leave us empty in more ways than one. I think it can be hard for children when their friends' families are into that and their family isn't. When I was in Eastern Europe many years ago I learned they separate gift day from Christmas. I liked that idea. For some reason it won't take my url today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Separating gift day from Christmas Day is a great idea!

      Delete
  4. 'Next Christmas, will anyone remember what we worked so hard to pick, and went into debt to give?'

    The perfect question to ask early and often. Thanks, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. It tis...I found it!!! Finally. I'm glad you are here and are still writing. I'll add on more when I visit again. Norma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reflection is good as it helps us (hopefully!) gain His perspective. Yet, we must be careful in the reflection to end in a life-giving place. A glass has the same amount of water whether we view it as half-full or half-empty; yet, the perspective is skewed as a positive or negative, as blessing or lack. May we find ourselves in a place of gratitude and not one of grumbling and complaining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me, it's not so much about keeping up with the Joneses, but wanting to give everyone everything they want that year. We exchange idea/wish lists, and I'd love to get everything on everyone's lists. While that's not financially possible anyway, it probably would not really be good for the recipients. It's good for me and for them to remember there is only One who knows what we most need and who is able to provide it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those car commercials always drive me nuts. How is spending $60K as a gift a good idea, like you shouldn't buy a car for somebody, they should test drive and choose the car they want.

    ReplyDelete