Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Thursday, December 7, 2023

Honey Is Home


Honey is the German Shepherd in the middle of the picture. At left are Henry the deaf Pittie and Cocoa Chihuahua. At right is Bray the Dachshund. This is their first meeting. They're pals now.

Honey's mom, the mother of a friend of Barb's, died suddenly this week.

Honey had nowhere to go.

Except here.


 It was only yesterday
that Honey came to call.
She had no other place to stay,
no other place at all.
It was only yesterday
that Honey came to live
with us, to protect and play,
with so much love to give.
It was only yesterday
that she became a part
of our unruly dog-array,
and chose to give her heart
to the pack that took her in
so a new life could begin.

The Five Minute Friday prompt this week is TURN.

Come on, doggies, wait your turn,
there's food enough for all of you.
Oh, dear Lord, will they not learn
all that they have put me through
when they rush the dinner dishes,
barking like the end has come,
leaving me with bitter wishes
that I'd not exposed my thumb
to a beast of fourteen pound
(three-quarters of that weight is teeth),
who through experience has found
that if part of me falls beneath
that hard and razor-y dentition,
feeding her first becomes my mission.

Just under three minutes, and yes, the truth hurts.


I apologise for not keeping up on replying to comments, and not leaving comments on your blog posts. With Barb's recent fall and facial fractures, I have become the caregiver. It's taken a lot out of me.

Music from Johnny Mathis, with I'm Coming Home.

Sylvia figures the more the merrier, as long as I don't have to share my ice cream.



14 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about Barb's fall. Praying for you both. I love your heart of care for her and also for taking in Honey. And I'm glad you still have your sense of humour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley, thank you so much for your prayers. Barb is getting better, though she's been told to expect the broken bones in her face to hurt for a couple of months. And Honey is a delight!

      Without a sense of humour, I don't know where I'd be. I mean, this morning a mouse chewed a hole in the washing machine drain hose. Really!

      Delete
  2. I love your raw, yet humorous glimpse into real life. I hope your wife is doing better soon. And what compassion to take in Honey! You truly are such a giving, self-sacrificing person. That does not go unseen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allie, thank you so much for this. I'm honoured.

      Delete
  3. Mary here..oh my, how roles reverse! I'm so glad honey found a home. One day we will be home. Then we will all eat ice cream! I hope there is ice cream! Prayers for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sad to hear of the loss your friend, and I'm glad to hear Honey found a home full of love. Praying for strength, healing, and vitality for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No apologies necessary! Welcome, Honey, and prayers for healing in all the hurting places for each of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and Barb have such big hearts to welcome all those dogs (and cats?) into your home.
    Love both of these sonnets, and the second one mad me laugh, although I'm sure it's not funny at the time when you get your finger bit.
    The picture of the group is not showing up though. Any chance you could repost it in the comments? Would love to see what they all look like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. Thanks for the beautiful sonnet you left on my blog. It really touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes because of its timeliness. God is so good. He knows how to bring unexpected encouragement our way when we need it the most.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How kind of you and Barb to welcome another dog into the family! Glad Honey has found a loving home. Praying that Barb is recovering well after her fall - have been thinking about you both!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear about the death of Barb's friend's mom and of Barb's fall and fractures. Praying for healing and help and grace and strength for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sadly the photo of the dogs wasn't visible to me. I didn't realise you had so many! Hungry brood, huh! I do hope Barb's injuries are superficial. Blessings to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sorry, I keep forgetting to say who I am - Dawn

    ReplyDelete