Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Thursday, October 5, 2023

In The Garden With Jesus


 

Cocoa likes to be carried. But as you can see in his expression, he doesn't like being photographed. Don't offer him a finger when you take his picture. It'll change how you play the piano.

And so...

Are you afraid?

Do you feel you're a lesser sort of Christian because your faith doesn't conquer your fear?

Welcome to Jesus' world.

He didn't agonize in the Garden of Gethsemane because He was mildly nonplussed at the really bad weekend coming up.

He didn't ask His mates to stay awake with Him because He thought they got too much sleep anyway.

He didn't sweat blood (and this phenomenon is real) because He found the upcoming interviews with Pilate and Herod a bore.

He was flat-out terrified, and that's why He was born into mortal form, that He could share our fears...and not have a snap-of-the-fingers answer that You Just Gotta Believe.

His flesh, uniquely part of Him, shrank from pain and death.

He was God become flesh, and as the fabric quailed, so did the heart.

So put aside the guilt and shame over you fears.

You're not alone.

It's okay to be afraid
in a lonely misery;
those cards were given, to be played
by Jesus in Gethsemane.
Now, perfect faith casteth out fear,
the TV preachers say it's true,
but what they do not make clear
is that it don't apply to you,
'cause you are mortal, and not God,
and will be 'till the day you die...
but what of Jesus, was He flawed
with that bleak despairing cry?
No, He lived it so we'd understand
that He was bridge from God to man.

The Five Minute Friday prompt this week is ATTEMPT. Let's give it a try.

I can attempt it all I want,
saying I ain't scared,
but it is a useless vaunt
that in vain I've aired,
for the truth does not lie there,
and in boldface, I have lied,
'cause when reailty does tear
the veil, you'll see I'm terrified
of the fell things yet to be,
of the miles I've yet to travel,
of the dreadful things to see
as cancer makes my days unravel,
but I need not wail, or weep, or groan,
for on this road, I'm not alone.

Four minutes. Adequate attempt.

Music from Jesus Christ Superstar, with Yvonne Elliman singing Everything's All Right

Sylvia's only fear is that McDonald's will stop serving ice cream.



12 comments:

  1. I'm thankful that He can handle all our feelings, Andrew. And it is comforting to know He never leaves us. Whether we are enjoying the sun on the mountain top or we are experiencing the valley with deep shadows; He is there with us.

    "If I say, 'Surely the darkness will overwhelm me, and the light around me will be night,' even the darkness is not dark to You, and the night is as bright as the day. Darkness and light are alike to You." ~Psalm 139

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, thank you for this, and the Psalm is PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice play on words there at the end. Thanks for reminding us that it's okay to be afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allie, thank you for this...the last week has been terrifying, but the end is everlastingly bright.

      Delete
  4. Powerful words of comfort and encouragement. I hope they ministered even to you as you wrote them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grams, yes... God was there with me as I wrote.

      Delete
  5. I used to always feel bad for being afraid. It is encouraging to think that Jesus has experienced that too and he understands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley, we're told... by false prophets... that we will not fear if we have faith.

      Jesus was scared. Does that mean He wasn't really a Christian?

      Delete
  6. We don't talk about that much, but yes, Jesus experienced agonizing fear and he KNOWS how we feel. And yet he was faithful and obedient, and showed us how to face our fears. It gives so much more meaning to the repetitions of "Do not be afraid" throughout the Scripture, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing this important insight. Praying that Jesus keeps holding you close no matter how fearful the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kym, thank you for this. Jesus did indeed show us how to face fear through obedience... and trust.

      Delete
  7. Andrew, such great insights shared here! Fear is such a tricky thing. In the end, I've come to believe that experiencing fear is part of being human. Jesus experienced it. I think it's in what we do with it that the difference is made. Will we turn to God with it, trusting Him more than ourselves? Or will we trust ourselves and somehow push through the fear? In the Garden, Jesus turned to His Father. I've played it both ways, and bringing my fear to the Lord (sometimes every minute of the waking day) has been much better than succumbing to the lies fear tells. You got me thinking with this one, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, thank you so much, and I'm delighted that this spoke to you! I, too, tried to rely on myself in facing fear. Worked for awhile, but that time is past.

      Delete