Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Thursday, October 19, 2023

The Lazarus Dilemma


 


We all know the Lazarus story... Jesus shows up four days after Lazarus' death, a day after the soul leaves the body, has the stone rolled away from the tomb entrance ('Oh, this isn't gonna be fun,' says Martha), shouts 'Lazarus, come forth!', and out hops Lazarus, still wrapped in his burial cloth.

We see it from outside the tomb.

But what was it like for Lazarus, to hear that joyous ringing voice and the stone grinding open to admit the bright sunlight?

Was he afraid that if he moved, got up, it would all have been some kind of cruel joke, and the darkness would close in again, made all the worse by hope seemingly offered, then dashed?

Did it seem too good to be true?

He had to make the choice to step out in faith (and blindly, since his head was wrapped).

Is Jesus calling you from your tomb? Is He standing there, calling you from sin and fear and despair? Is He calling you to another road, another world, one you can scarce believe exists?

Don't let 'too good to be true' hold you back.

Come forth!

She met Him on the road ahead,
and said, 'The news ain't great;
our brother Laz is buried, dead,
and why were You so late?
Three days past, his soul is gone
(and what, Lord, were you thinking?).
He is lost to us this dawn,
fed to worms and stinking.'
And Jesus wept, not for His mate,
but for Martha's sorrow,
for He knew that Laz's fate
was to be around tomorrow,
and so the drear and hungry earth
would lose its prey at 'Laz, come forth!'

The Five Minute Friday prompt this week is CLARIFY.

Some might find me rather odd,
and might say I'm a nutter,
but I think you will be awed
by praise of clarified butter.
What would movie date night be
without popcorn so garnished?
And sports on your big-screen TV
will remain untarnished
with the clear and golden blessing
slathered to corn on the cob,
and I must right now be confessing
that I would gladly rob
the Pope (a Catholic I've become)
from his hot and buttered rum.

Three minutes and a bit. That's disconcerting.

Music from Soundgarden, with Live To Rise

Sylvia thinks it helped that Jesus was holding an ice cream cone.



20 comments:

  1. Beautiful insight of the other dide of Lazarus' resurrection. - Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story of Lazarus has so many dimensions to ponder, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I think Lazarus' story may be one of the most overlooked part of Scripture.

      Delete
  3. I guess I’m a nudder nutter because my first thought was clarified butter! ❤️‍🩹💝
    Your writing has new life, Andrew! I’m so grateful you’ve taken up leadership with #tellhisstory Keep writing, leading all the way to the streets of Gold - the color of clarified butter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know that someone else thought about clarified butter! Thank you for this.

      Delete
  4. I never thought about the story of Lazarus from his perspective. We always focus on Mary and Martha outside the tomb. Very interesting to think on for sure! I'm glad you share your thoughts, Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes! And who came 1st, 2nd and 3rd? I love speculating on the possible points of view from all those involved. Oh, do I need to come forth from the tomb of my own bandage! You do it all the time and are such an inspiration to me and others. Prayers for your upcoming venture and your health! This anonymous is Mary. I fear I will always be anonymous nd it is okay with me. I don't need to be known. I need to know Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I absolutely love this comment, and your stalwart heart.

      Delete
  6. Yes, great post on Lazarus. My first thought was clarified butter but I could not think where to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tish, yes, clarified butter does lead one down odd theological paths!

      Delete
  7. Hey Andrew, this is great. I love how you helped us think about the other side of the stone. Have you heard the song Rise Up (Lazarus) by Cain? I think sometimes we all need to hear "Can't you hear the voice of Jesus calling us Out from the grave like Lazarus."

    Continued prayers for you and Barb. See you at Tell His Story.
    FMF#2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, thank you! Haven't heard Rise Up Lazarus, but we will look for it.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful shot of the double rainbow, and ❤️ your sonnet about Lazarus.
    P.S. Can you send me a link to Tell His Story that you are hosting? Would like to check it out. Grams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grams, thank you!

      The Tell His Story links will be on this blog site, every Tuesday at 5am Mountain Time.

      Delete
    2. Sorry for being obtuse. I've scrolled down and don't see any Tuesday posts or links.😢

      Delete
  9. both of your musings brought a smile to this tired brain's face. Thank you. :) FMF15

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette, thank you so much...and I apologise for not getting to your post this week. One of our old dogs was fading, and I wanted to spend time with him before he passed.

      Delete
  10. I love your take on Lazarus' story, Andrew. Thanks for sharing that. And yes, clarified butter is pretty yummy on corn. Kath, visiting from FMF #11 this week.

    ReplyDelete