Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Thursday, May 25, 2023

Le Meltdown


Do you see the alligator head?

This is hard to write, embarrassing, and perhaps necessary, because it's a narrative of failure.

There seems to be another metastasis, in my right humerus (already have one in the left, and in the right f inemur). It's extremely painful, limits movement, and limits life even more than it's constrained now. It feels just like a broken bone, only a bit worse.

Added to the other growths, the chest, leg, and abdominal pain, shortness of breath, and frequent vomiting, it seems a bit hard.

And I let it get to me. Got snappish with Barb and hurt her feelings, and was unkind to the dogs.

Round and round, ruined an evening, and when I was done I was in exactly the same place, which I had made through my actions more bleak.

It'll heal. But I don't trust myself, and that may be the most positive outcome, because vigilance is the necessary protector of joy, faith, and good manners.

There is something I have found,
and it left me scarred and sore,
that anger leads you round and round
and leaves you were you were before.
Yes, it might well be a right,
a way to cope with devastation,
but it doesn't lead to light,
and can birth an alienation
from the ones we truly need,
the ones we dare not drive away.
To rant and rage is merely greed,
desire for a former day
far away from fear and pain
that can never come again.

The Five Minute Friday prompt this week is OWE.

My culture says I owe this life
the passing of a simple test,
and that would be to treat my wife
as a greatly honoured guest
whose presence is a privilege,
whose smile is a bright noble gift;
to be casual is sacrilege,
and so each day I'm bound to lift
my efforts to a higher plane,
my courtesy to raise
ever to a better name,
and never to neglect the praise
for all kindnesses shown, for such
is she to whom I owe so much.

Four minutes and a bit.

Music from Daniel Powter, with Bad Day.

Sylvia doesn't like bad days. They make ice cream taste funny.



29 comments:

  1. I never thought of this as greed, Andrew, but I think that is a good way to state it, "To rant and rage is merely greed, desire for a former day." A beautiful tribute to Barb, your noble gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thank you so much. This level of introspection is really hard for me!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you have had such a hard time, Andrew, but I love your poem and your love for Barb shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for the hard and painful days you are having, Andrew. Your tribute to Barb is beautiful. So much is owed to caretakers. Your love for one another shines through. Praying for you both to have a some better days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, thank you. I am having to go through an honesty that really hurts.

      Delete
  4. Good poem to save.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saving these. Because I use a phone, I can't.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry for the pain and hard days you're enduring. I love that you recognized that your anger shouldn't be spent on Barb and made it right. That is pretty special, and your love for each other is easy to see, through the words you share. Praying for you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kym, thank you for this. Anger never solves anything, especially when directed inward, in a marriage.

      We so appreciate your prayers!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for your honesty, Andrew, in the light of a very difficult day or week or more. Your love for Barb truly does shine through. I'm sorry it's so tough for you. I certainly needed to read this about anger:
    Yes, it might well be a right,
    a way to cope with devastation,
    but it doesn't lead to light,
    and can birth an alienation.
    Kath
    Visiting from #4 this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, thank you. I'm so glad you found something of value here.

      Delete
  7. Andrew, both of your poems today complements that the Holy Spirit put on my heart this morning and throughout the day. Galations 5:18-26. The deeds of the flesh are evident, (as in obvious to everyone) whereas the fruit of the Spirit always is not evident (as is the Holy Spirit is always working even when we sin). Nothing stops the fruit of the Spirit. He is conforming us to His image so we will manifest the fruit of the Spirit and there is no law against them because He fulfilled and went beyond every law. I'm still pondering this but I can see your words go right along with what I believe the Holy Spirit is ministering to me today. My prayers are ramped up for you at this time and for Barb and the dogs! 😇😇

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I love this...nothing stops the fruit of the Spirit!

      And thank you so much for your prayers.

      Delete
  8. Andrew I'm sorry you have to endure this pain. I will be praying. I'm FMF #17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regina, thank you. Prayers are so important.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for continuing to write because it might help you, but it certainly helps the readers to put painful aspects of life into words. I appreciate your poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this affirmation. It's hard to keep writing; it never comes easy. But I will continue.

      Delete
  10. yeah, those kind of evenings are hard and we wish we had just kept quiet. may those snappish moments be tempered by grace and patience. and we know where THOSE gifts come from and it's not from us.

    may the weekend have some pleasant-er moments for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, yes... those times when we wished we'd just stayed quiet!

      Delete
  11. Annette, indeed the learning from anger is good.

    But not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do see an the alligator! I also understand how it feels being on the receiving end when pain, anxiety, and general "uncomfortableness" (wierd word but it fits) can no longer be contained. It's not easy for the giver or the receiver. So, I'm sorry for what you and your Barb are going through, and I wish you weren't

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SkatMom, uncomfortableness is indeed the perfect word. Thank you for this.

      Delete
  13. Prayers Andrew, you are truly amazing. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this affirmation, and especially for your prayers!

      Delete
  14. Your unvarnished honesty and courage brought tears to my eyes. "...vigilance is the necessary protector of joy, faith, and good manners." I wrote that on a sticky note for my computer monitor. The good of life deserves to be curated and cherished.

    "that anger leads you round and round
    and leaves you were you were before."

    Yes. Yes yes yes. So beautifully stated.

    I'm reminded of Rumi's guesthouse, in the very best of ways. May you be held in compassion. May your pain be eased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucien, your words really touched my heart. It's a hard night as I write this, but you've sent a smile.

      Delete