Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Thursday, May 4, 2023

Barb's Got Nickname


Hard days. Time for fun.

I really have no sense of shame
(not that it would be relevant),
and thus, Barb has a new nickname,
'Shazaam! The Golden Elephant'.
There is something I have hinted
for her church-y congregation,
getting pachyderm-y t-shirts printed
so they might rise unto occasion
that when she comes up front to sing
all will get unto their feet,
and a joyous noise they'll bring 
as my bride they gaily greet
with arms raised trunk-like (as each can),
and a mighty shout, 'SHAZAAM!'

The Five Minute Friday prompt this week is SOON. Better than late, I guess.

The doctor walked into the room,
and in sorrow looked at me,
and then he went and told me soon
I would simply cease to be,
which is quite a funny thing,
but really not a source of pride
that soon he heard death angel's wing,
and while I live, the poor dude died.
It's kind of a cliche'd joke
to live to bury one's physician,
'specially when he said I'd croak
before too long, given my position,
and now I'm gonna pause to cry
because I truly loved the guy.

Three minutes thirty, and yes, tears in my eyes.

Music from The Beatles, with the lovely song and charming video, Here, There, And Everywhere.

Sylvia feels that she's her own nickname.



25 comments:

  1. Always appreciate your unique perspective, Andrew. When I think of you, I pray God keeps using your words to encourage others for as long as you are able to share them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany, thank you so much for this. Your words are a cool breeze in what turned out a hellish day.

      Delete
  2. Soon is a dangerous concept! Thanks for your humor and truth. My Sadie had a pup cup this week soon after her bath at Tractor Supply! Good times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maryleigh, soon can indeed be a hazard...and I had no idea that Tractor Supply had canine bathing facilities!

      Delete
  3. My father-in-law was told he would die of cancer in his forties, and again in his fifties. He died in his eighties and outlived four surgeons! Keep on keeping on. I'm sorry about the loss of your physician, he sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tish, Roland Sanchez MD was the best of the best. I miss him. He was a friend.

      Delete
  4. Andrew, I am so sorry for the loss of your doctor. It is not easy to adjust to new doctors, even when they simply and happily, retire. But this just made me realize this morning how only our God holds each of our days in His hands. Only He knows the day He will call any one of us home. Until then, may we keep on sharing, keep on encouraging, keep on seeking Him. You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, thank you for this. And you're so right... only God knows!

      Delete
  5. Too soon and yet too long. The paradox of life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, exactly. Too soon, too long, too puzzling.

      Delete
  6. Soon is so very hard to measure, isn't it? I'm sorry about the loss of your doctor. Thank you for blessing us with your poems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kym, yes... it's hard to measure when the ruler seems to arbitrarily change length.

      Delete
  7. How interesting! My dad made a comment that he might not be here in a year or three and I responded, “Me too!”
    We know not our day or time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only God knows our day and time. They were written in His book even before we came to be..
    P.S. Love this animated version of the Beattle song. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grams, indeed, only He knows.

      And I am delighted that you enjoyed the video. It really charmed me.

      Delete
  9. Andrew, so sorry about your doctor. Every day, a present, every tomorrow a hope. Does Barb love her nickname?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, thank you
      .. and Barb does indeed like being Shazaam! The Golden Elephant.

      Delete
  10. Great-Granny said it well today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my... that would be so strange.... FMF21

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Linda, I have to keep a recurring order online for Barb to polish her halo.

      Delete
  13. Oh Andrew I am sorry about your doctor, he sounded amazing. I know our patients at hospice build such special relationships with our docs, and when one of them moves on, it truly leaves a hurting space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, thanks so much for this.

      Roland Sanchez became a friend. I miss him every day.

      Delete