Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Thursday, October 24, 2019

Your Dying Spouse 689 - Death Is Not The Enemy {FMF}

It feels like things are running down. I told Barb that the character of things is changing, that the affliction is becoming more systemic, less localized. Cancer does what it wants, I guess.

She said, "That can't be good."

I don't now how this is going to go. I wish there were a roadmap...or maybe, on second thought, I don't.

Without a doctor giving a definite prognosis (no insurance means no doctor), I can keep hoping past the lumps in my neck that make swallowing almost impossible, past the fact that I'm not really digesting food, past the fever and the chills...

...and I can hope for a better tomorrow, since ignorance is bliss.

And if not...

If you believe, as I do, that death is not the end, then death is not the enemy. If personalied, death is the gatekeeper into a new and glorious world, although the gate itelf may be hard and painful.

What did Jesus say?

Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.  Matt. 7:14

Maybe so.

I have far outrun the Reaper,
but not much of me remains;
pain is growing, getting deeper
and he's eating at my gains.
I hear the rustle of his cloak,
and admit that's got me shook.
Breath comes now in shallow choke
and I'm afraid to look.
I cannot plead for mercy;
no appeal can thus be made,
but before my strength deserts me,
I turn, with finger raised.
And now begins another story,
for Death looks down, and says, "I'm sorry"


Music from Lonestar, With Me.


Thanks to Carol Ashby, Blessed Are The Pure Of Heart is back on Kindle, and will be available in paperback soon.

Friends are everything. I couldn't have done it.

Marley, the canine waif from Afghanistan, whom WE helped save, has a Facebook page! Please drop by to see how happy he is today.


Below are my recent releases on Kindle -please excuse their presence in the body of the blog. I haven't the energy to get them up as 'buttons' in the sidebar. You can click on the covers to go to the Amazon links.








27 comments:

  1. Oh sweet Andrew... we just want you out of pain. Praying for a huge protective peace, a God-given 'morphine' ... an other-worldly protection from Satan's last desperate "stand" ... that his bite holds no teeth and he disintegrates into the mealy mouth weasel that he is, back to the pit for good. Because Jesus' name is that strong. Thank you the God given LIFE you've given us. me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, you phrased this so beautifully. Thank you, and please know you are in our prayers and in our hearts.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, you reminded me of John Donne's Sonnet X (one that I have always wanted read when it comes to my funeral):

    Death, be not proud, though some have called thee
    Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so;
    For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow
    Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
    From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be,
    Much pleasure; then from thee much more must flow,
    And soonest our best men with thee do go,
    Rest of their bones, and soul's delivery.
    Thou art slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men,
    And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell,
    And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well
    And better than thy stroke; why swell'st thou then?
    One short sleep past, we wake eternally
    And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die.

    God bless you and give you His peace x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you brother! Continually praying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love back, Tara! Thank you so much for the prayers!

      Delete
  4. I love that description of death as a gatekeeper into a new and glorious world. It is an amazing hope we have that no matter what pain we face here, something much, much better awaits us. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley, I'm so glad you liked that. And thank you so much or your prayers!

      Delete
  5. (((((Andrew)))))
    I've always loved the following...

    from Thanatopsis, by William Cullen Bryant

    So live, that when thy summons comes to join
    The innumerable caravan, which moves
    To that mysterious realm, where each shall take
    His chamber in the silent halls of death,
    Thou go not, like the quarry-slave at night,
    Scourged to his dungeon, but, sustained and soothed
    By an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave,
    Like one who wraps the drapery of his couch
    About him, and lies down to pleasant dreams.


    Hugs from Annie in Texas


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((((((Annie!))))))

      Thank you so much for this. It's lovely.

      Delete
  6. The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. 1 Corinthians 15:26

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ellen. Thank you so much for being here!

      Delete
  7. go well into the future Andrew. Mind your steps getting there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do, Annette, and thank you!

      The steps will be a dance.

      Delete
  8. Love your description of death as a gatekeeper, and as always your beautiful poetry. I continue to pray for God's mercy to bring you relief on this pathway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bettie, thank you so much for this lovely affirmation, and for your prayers!

      Delete
  9. Andrew I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this. Cancer is awful. I'll definitely pray for you. I know the cancer journey well. It's not easy, hang in there. God has you ♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lexie, it sure is awful, but I've found both unexpected grace and beauty along the way.

      God does indeed have me. I'm not alone.

      Delete
  10. Love the thought to live fighting so well that even death would be sad to take you! As usual your poetry is awesome!

    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this, Jerralea, and especially for your prayers!

      Delete
  11. Oh how i pray for you! A woman in childbirth screams in pain, but she has the hope of a child born. You have a hope unseen, yet more real, faith is substance yet unseen. Your pain is not in vain! Heaven is real! I cry for you, and hope with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, this is just beautiful...thank you so much for walking through the valley with me!

      Delete
  12. We're on a continuum, aren't we, Andrew, that runs from birth to death to our eternal forever home. We're not at the end but only beginning ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed yes, Linda. What we see as nightfall is God's dawn.

      Delete
  13. Yes, a gatekeeper, even though it is painful. May you pass through it victorious. There is peace, joy, healing, no pain on the other side. May God hold you and Barb close as you near that gate. You are such an inspiration to me, Andrew, to keep going when things get rough. There is always hope and there is always beauty to be found. Light always shines through the darkness. Much love to you and Barb with gentle hugs. Thank you so much for all you have contributed and are contributing to this community, dear Andrew! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayl, I am so heartened and honoured by your kind and gracious words...truly, you are a blessing to us.

      Love and hugs back, from both of us. XO!

      Delete
  14. Stephanie, thank you so much for this...and for being here.

    ReplyDelete