Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Thursday, November 29, 2018

Your Dying Spouse 548 - The Last Paradigm {FMF}

I wish that I could open one of these posts by saying anything except, well, it's worse.

But not today. It's worse, with new stuff happening that makes the expression, "This can't be good" sound positively Pollyannish. I won't describe it, 'cause just talking about that stuff makes me puke.

It's hard to stay out of the dark rooms of loneliness and despair, especially in this season. Turn on the TV and everyone's singing and shopping and...ugh...eating.

Uh, pardon me, I'mm be right baaaccckkk.....

There. Wow. Yuck.

Where was I...oh, right. How do you keep an even keel when you're in the vortex, circling the drain?

It's actually not hard. It jut involves some agility, in jumping from one defining paradigm to another, all the way to The End Of The Trail.

I think we all live our lives after a pattern; a pattern formed by relationship and media. We see people we admire, characters we admire, and we look to build a framework in our lives that allows a direct comparison, at least in our hearts.

No one lives a completely original life; at least, almost no one. Jesus, well, yeah. He did.

But for the rest of us there's John Wayne and Wonder Woman and Weird Uncle Ray, who got lost in the 60s and never quite found his way out. These are the names and contexts against which we measure ourselves.

And that is no bad thing, because left to ourselves, we can find definition impossible. It's like doing a diving exercise in a dark pool...which way is up?

I've run through a number of paradigms, from the wisecracking Butch and Sundance to the steely-eyed John Wayne to the inscrutable Katsumoto in The Last Samurai (and I bear more than a passing resemblance to Ken Watanabe).

But in the end...for it must surely come soon, given the symptoms, I've circled back to the paradigm that awaits at The End Of The Trail.

Me.

Butch and Sundance died in a hail of Bolivian bullet (or did they..?), The Duke rode off into the sunset, and Lord Katsumoto met the honourable death he craved in a hopeless cavalry charge.

And I go on. Shorn of any nobility (I did my best...sometimes), bereft of real charity (I gave at the office and at home, but a lot of the time I was looking out for me), and absent any spiritual depth (I thought for a long time that Judas had a pet lion, hence, 'Lion of Judah'), I'm a pretty normal screwup, an eightball, a square peg kicking and screaming against the round hole.

And that is precisely what God loves.

In the demolition of my Potemkin villages, I've found truth, and joy, and Love.

When I stopped watching movies, I could see God's hand, patiently waiting to take me the rest of the way on His Shoulder.

The view from up here, it's pretty good.

Music from Andrew Peterson, with You'll Find Your Way.


Thanks to Carol Ashby, Blessed Are The Pure Of Heart is back on Kindle, and will be available in paperback soon.

Friends are everything. I couldn't have done it.

Marley, the canine waif from Afghanistan, whom WE helped save, has a Facebook page! Please drop by to see how happy he is today.



Below are my recent releases on Kindle -please excuse their presence in the body of the blog. I haven't the energy to get them up as 'buttons' in the sidebar. You can click on the covers to go to the Amazon links.









34 comments:

  1. I hear your God-given faith in every word, Andrew. The past may not look so great in reruns, but the present is ours to bring praise to God. You are doing that.
    1 Pet 1:7 so that the proof of your faith, {being} more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
    1 Pet 1:8 and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory,
    1 Pet 1:9 obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I LOVE how you put this, that the past may not look so great in reruns, but the present is ours to praise God.

      And thank you so much for the Scripture. It's perfect.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for hope. Hope for us 'screw-ups." ....... (and I always loved riding on my dad's shoulders.)... pretty sure He's carrying me now. Pretty sure, like for Stephen, he's standing for you, Andrew. Praying for you some pain-free rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I'm starting to figure that the more hopeless things look, the more firm hope there really is. Just like for Stephen!

      Thank you so much for the prayers; we're praying for you.

      Delete
  3. "When I stopped watching movies, I could see God's hand, patiently waiting to take me the rest of the way on His Shoulder."
    What a line.
    Hang in there, Andrew – even though the holiday cheerfulness might be particularly painful to you. May you discover joy that is rooted in something much deeper than glitter and candles and wrapping paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katha, thank you so much for this. The holidays can be hard...but if I focus on celebrating the joy that others feel in the outward bits, I do OK.

      Delete
  4. God bless you, Andrew.
    Gad bless you, Barb.
    I'm glad I crossed cyber-paths with you.

    Annie in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Andrew, I am learning, or at least seeing the need to learn, that fine balance between relationships with people and with God. To be faced with "me" is a scary place, yet a necessary place for complete faith. I know God is carrying you (unless it is your kick-ass attitude that you still are here). Either way, I admire your resilience and "right to fight" for truth. You shall be blessed deeper without the glitter. If Christ came in the form of a baby, he came spittin' up and crying. Still, His light shone bright! Bless you, my friend. Won't it be fun to meet in heaven all who touched our lives on earth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mary, it's for sure that God is carrying me! Attitude can get you far, but it's getting ridiculous here. I should be SO dead...and I ain't.

      I truly appreciate your words, and it will indeed be fun to meet up Over there!

      Delete
  6. And maybe all those bullets missed Hutch and Sundance! It never really told!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I like to think that they made it out, and settled on a couple of adjoining ranches in Texas.

      Delete
  7. It's always hard to face ourselves and stop comparing ourselves. Soulwork isn't easy. But it's necessary to grow closer to God and to allow him to reveal our true selves to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, that's perfect...'soulwork isn't easy'. But you're right, it's SO needed!

      Delete
  8. Well this is what I'm going to say. Your body may be shot but dang it man, your mind is so sharp and creative. You remind me of my mom. She could've debated anyone on any topic up to the final moment when she entered the gates of heaven. Sharp as a tack. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I'm honoured by the comparison! After this week, my body is pretty well used up, and I'm both exhausted and scared...but still having fun.

      We love you! XOXOXO

      Delete
  9. Praying for you and Barb as you face this new segment. Praising God there is an end, one that is the start of eternal life for you with Christ. You are a light, Andrew. Thank you for using this illness for His glory. Praying peace and comfort come to you and Barb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, thank you so much for this. Your words honour me, as does the experience, when dedicated to God's Glory.

      Delete
  10. Praying for you, Andrew! Thank you for continuing to bless us with your reflections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley, thank YOU for the blessing of your prayers!

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing your heart and the ways that Jesus carries you. I am praying for you in all of the suffering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bettie, I'm so grateful for the prayers. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Jan, I'm honoured, and I will keep on for as long as I can.

      Delete
  13. You still amaze me friend! Blessings and prayers for you and Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tara. Prayers are REALLY appreciated, and blessings back!

      Delete
  14. Oh dear Andrew, none of us know when your last day will be...Or our own last day on earth but we look to Him who has prepared a place for us in heaven. I'm going to send the link to a beautiful song by Sovereign Grace Music from the album "Come Weary Saints". The song is "It Is Not Death to Die". My nephew sang it with guitar in 2013 at my mother's memorial service. (In fact, you can find all the album's songs on YouTube; they are all very encouraging).
    Here's the link: https://youtu.be/Sna3Fp4LZ9g
    I'm always thinking the link might not work so everyone just search in YouTube :)

    With love for you and Barbara... Praying for grace and peace tonight,

    Kathryn in SC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathryn, thank you so much for the song! It's lovely, and I had not heard it before.

      Love back, from both of us, and thank you so much for your prayers.

      Delete
  15. Happy trails to you... until we meet again.
    And we will...
    at The End of the Trail.

    Annie in Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, any trail walked with Jesus...even if it's knee-deep in blood and other things...is Happy!

      Thank you so much!

      Delete
  16. I'm so sorry to hear that things continue to progress in a trying and excruciating direction, Andrew! It breaks my heart to hear how you struggle. But I suppose the alternative, in your case, is worse ... at least, in my view! Praying for you, my friend! I know you know that. I say it more for my own comfort, since I know there's little that brings you comfort other than helping others. Hugs and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, it is truly, truly horrible...but one benefit is that I can write with honesty, and in some confidence that what I say is at least 'close to Coke' (you now, the real thing!), a true witness. Morphine would dull that.

      Your prayers and hugs mean more to me than I can say, Beth. Always.

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Karrilee, thank you so much. The prayers are really needed. Bad moon rising here.

      Delete