Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Monday, November 19, 2018

Your Dying Spouse 543 - Why We Write

All is not well, and I hope you won't mind me recycling a comment I made this morning (seems like forever ago) on the Steve Laube Literary Agency blog, on Popular Story Tropes In Current Fiction.

"I think that there’s just one trope, just one reason for the plea, “Tell me a story!”
"People want to know that their life matters, that events are shaped to purpose.
"They want to know that the traumas were for a reason, and that the joys have some counterpart in Infinity and aren’t irretrievably lost to time.
"And that there is a road ahead, leading to a warm place, and that everything doesn’t end in the cold and the dark.
"Because we’re all of us so terribly afraid of the dark."
In other words...tell me how this ends.
With Jesus as the Light, there's no reason to fear the darkness...
...and yet...
Jesus told stories too.
And even He asked that the darkness of Good Friday somehow pass Him by.
Tell Me how this ends.
It's OK to recoil from the dark. It's OK to be scared.
Just climb into the lap of the master Storyteller.
Tell me a story.
Music from Any Williams, with Almost There. It's a nice song...so why not?

Thanks to Carol Ashby, Blessed Are The Pure Of Heart is back on Kindle, and will be available in paperback soon.

Friends are everything. I couldn't have done it.

Marley, the canine waif from Afghanistan, whom WE helped save, has a Facebook page! Please drop by to see how happy he is today.



Below are my recent releases on Kindle -please excuse their presence in the body of the blog. I haven't the energy to get them up as 'buttons' in the sidebar. You can click on the covers to go to the Amazon links.







14 comments:

  1. You have beautifully expressed the struggle of a hurting heart. I can relate to your questions and your hope and needed to know today that I am not struggling alone. If your title gives context to your pain, I am so sorry you are facing such suffering. I pray God buoys your spirit and reassures your faith in a very real way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ara, thank you so much for these lovely, grace-filled words; and I am so happy that you found something of value here. The pain will pass, one way or the other, but the meeting-place with God it created will remain.

      Thank you so much for your prayers!

      Delete
  2. It all started with telling stories. Fathers told their children, who told their children. People talked before they wrote. Now they write their stories. I love hearing yours, not the pain and suffering, but the places it all brings you to, the raw, the real, the hope, the fear, its all you and your not afraid to show and tell. And Jesus wants us to come to that place, not to just know Him but to know us, who we are, and then to know even there he loves us. Praying for you and Barb. Thank you Andrew, truly, your writing is an offering to us and I know it costs you a great price to keep giving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, you've nailed it, with the genesis of stories, and you've said it so gracefully!

      And yes, Jesus wants us THERE, to know Him, to know us. Perfect.

      We thank you so much for your prayers.

      Delete
  3. I wish I could tell you a story, Andrew, but I've never been a good story teller - instead, I'm a poet. So here ya go

    The storm surrounded me
    waves crashing against my
    battered heart
    these tattered sails
    drifting in shattered hope

    and then

    clear

    unmistakeable

    a distant lighthouse
    a sure and shining spark of life
    true

    unyielding

    leading me, not out, but through
    guiding me, not beyond, but deeper still
    leaving me, not alone, but anchored again

    to the One who
    still calms these stormy seas

    even when they keep raging

    You've done that for me, Andrew.
    just a small part of your beautiful, well-done-faithful-one story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I don't know what to say...except that this is such a lovely poem (and I love lighthouses!), and I'm so glad I could help.

      We're praying for you, my friend.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing your story to bring us encouragement. Praying so much that you feel that same comfort tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bettie, it's an honour to share...and I am so grateful for your prayers.

      Delete
  5. I hope you have more comfort than pain, and more peace than fear, Andrew.

    Annie in Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie...I do. God's here. And I'm so glad you're here.

      Delete
  6. Surrounding you with love and prayer, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith, thank you so much...I do feel the warmth.

      Delete