Unexpectedly, I was able to vote; Barbara very gingerly drove me to the nearby Early Voting Site, and I cast what I fear might be my last ballot. (Though the Almighty has kept me along way past my puzzed doctor's prognostications, so who's to say?)
At the moment I'm hurting bad, and in a philosophical mood, so I'll ask you to consider this question, if you haven't voted yet. I love this country, and I care about its future, whether I'm here or not.
What kind of country to you want?
This isn't about emails or foundations or crude remarks or Twitter-baiting. This is about values.
In the last few years, I think some things have gone terribly wrong. In no particular order, here's what really bothers me.
- It's OK to call for the killing of police, but not OK to support them.
- It's OK to disrespect veterans by 'taking a knee' during the national Anthem, and it's OK to set an example for ignorant high-school and college kids to follow because it's 'cool'.
- You can't freely practice your religion; in public service you can be fired for having a Bible or Qu'ran on your desk. If you're in business you have to serve everyone; a Jewish baker can't refuse baking cake for a Nazi who wants to celebrate the Holocaust.
- Veterans die while waiting for VA medical appointments, while the head of that agency compares the lines to Disneyland...and is not reprimanded. Meanwhile, the VA spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on public art.
- Bullying is rampant, and the rights of the bullies to free speech are the priority of protection.
- Family pets offered 'free to a good home' on Craigslist are often acquired by those who would torture them to death, and there is no accountability.
- Adoptions are approved based on race rather than the child's best interests
- Our staunchest ally in the Middle East, israel, has been repeatedly criticized and humiliated by our current regime. I hesitate to call it a 'government'.
- Drug trafficking and use is rampant, yet the current regime is more interested in providing sex-change operations for those who wish to be another gender than in actively combating this life-destroying scourge.
- Pornography riles the Internet, and is invading our homes (witness 'HBO's new production 'Westworld'). It's protected, but Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and Hindu speech are not.
- A current Supreme Court Justice, Justice Breyer, does not believe that the Second Amendment confers upon one the right to use a firearm for self defense in one's own home.
I could write more, but this stuff's depressing.
Do you want this? Do you approve of the direction we're going?
If not, please consider the above, and more, when you vote.
I won't be here. Your kids will be.
This isn't about personality or temperament or trustworthiness or experience.
This is an election for our country's soul.
Much to my surprise, I decided to participate in a '31 Days' blogging exercise; rather than interrupt the flow of this post, I have another blog established, "Starting The Day With Grace". The focus is a grace quote from someone you might not expect (like, say Ariel Sharon) and a short commentary.
And now that October's over...I'm going to keep it going. I hope you'll join me.
Marley update...he's probably going to be moved to a sanctuary, and Bay County will revise their 'dangerous dog' codes.
WE ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE!
He's up over 200,000 signatures, but PLEASE keep the pressure on. If you haven't signed, please do! Please click o his name in the paragraph below.
If you have a moment, I'd like to ask you to visit Change.org to consider a petition to free a 'death row dog' who has been separated from his family for ten months over a misunderstanding. Marley was saved from Afghanistan by a US serviceman; please help make sure this story doesn't end in needless tragedy! Marley's gotten a lot of support...but he still needs our help.
If you can, please do leave a comment. I am trying to answer all, and I am failing, but please know this - I read and treasure each one.
Below are my recent releases on Kindle -please excuse their presence in the body of the blog. I haven't the energy to get them up as 'buttons' in the sidebar. You can click on the covers to go to the Amazon links.