Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Thursday, February 22, 2024

From Good To Great To Really Stupid



Tolstoy said it best.

If everything is possible, then nothing is true.

This country's gotten very weird
with stranger days to come.
I'll bet that's not how it appeared
to ol' George Washington.
They want us in electric cars
(Stop global warming! Do your part!),
and though their dreams reach to the stars,
in winter they won't start,
which proves that you can't legislate
Mother Nature's laws,
but the self-proclaiming great
just cannot see the flaws,
or that it's a load of bull,
to say that All Is Possible.

The Five Minute Friday prompt this week is RESPITE. Yeah, I need a break. Not happening.

I wish that we might have a respite
from the morons in DC,
who daily have a happy fit
when they think of doing me
some damage with their regulations
to make the whole wide world so green,
and so they offer strangulations
on each and every good machine
that makes the rural life worth living,
gas stoves and cheaper ceiling fans.
It seems they think we should be giving
carbon credits to the lands
that would happily replace
our nation, once held in God's grace.

Three and a half minutes of real irritation. 

How do YOU feel?

Music from The Monkees, with I'm A Believer

Sylvia is happy to eat ice cream when it's cold. She has a warm heart.




18 comments:

  1. When the news is super negative, I take a sabbatical from it. And when I feel like I need to "know" what is going on, then I pick a non-emotional, straight presenter to get me caught up on the news. It's a peaceful way to live. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to link "respite" to politics. Maybe stepping away from the news for a while could bring you some rest...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take bits and pieces and cover it with prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda, yes. Take the bits and pieces and cover it in prayer. Perfect.

      Delete
  4. Yes, we are tending to rely on ever more tortuous legislation rather than living simply and trusting in God's grace. In the UK we have plenty of electric cars but insufficient charging infrastructure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the US the infrastructure is pathetic, and the costs...not financial...can be high.

      Folks have been stranded at charging stations in frigid weather, faced with a long walk home.

      Fine is you're 25. No joke if you're 65.

      Delete
  5. It's interesting to hear a rural US view on this. I'm probably a lot more pro green energy than you, Andrew, but it takes time for infrastructure and efficiency to develop in any new technology with proper investment and support to transfer over. And perhaps there's no perfect energy - like the effect on wildlife of wind turbines and solar panels (although there's a pair of local seagulls here who've turned our neighbour's roof ones into a effective nesting site!). I guess it's the principle of being good stewards of God's creation that matters most.
    (I'm at FMF #13 this week with a very different take on the prompt)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I hear you. I would love green energy to be immediately practicable, but we simply can't say we will have the technological advancements we need within a demanded timeframe.

      Solar may sound great in the American Southwest, but no-one likes to take into account the wind-borne dust that daily degrades the panels' efficiency, nor do propenents want to recognize the impact large-scale solar farms have on wildlife.

      'We can do it!' sounds wonderful as a campaign slogan, but it's not reality.

      Delete
  6. okay, so ignore the previous unkind person.... please. There is lots of grim in the world nowadays isn't there? and you've made me wonder about electric cars in the winter... cold is deadly to batteries. They will certainly increase freighting costs....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette, thank you.

      Aside from cold, batteries do use up 'fossil' resources in their manufacture, some of which come from impoverished countries whose governments use slave labour to extract them from the ground.

      It's not all sunshine and balloons for the Congolese miner who works sixteen hours a day for a bare subsistence, that we with our First World Problems can get a warm glow of self-satisfaction.

      Do I sound bitter? I am, because in another life some of the slaves were my friends.

      Delete
    2. And I did dispose of the unkind comment you referenced.

      Delete
  7. 30 years ago I took an extended respite from newspapers, TV and radio.. It's not like I could do anything about it, nor would I ever run out of things to pray about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, yeah, an extended vacation from Today is a good idea.

      Delete
  8. I think you are right, Andrew. The infrastructure cannot support this green idea. I have never stopped wondering about electric cars either. They have to be 'plugged in' to an electric system, yes? Electric? Sounds like electricity use to me still.

    ReplyDelete