Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Thursday, November 2, 2023

The Me That Never Was





 


I'm not who I was before cancer.

Maybe that's what God intended.

I took my helmet from the shelf
to breathe some Harley air.
I rode off to find myself,
but I wasn't there.
Down the lonely open road
through mirrored halls of time;
at each bend reflections showed,
but none of them were mine.
There were ghosts from bygone days,
blank-eyed in shivered sleep,
but none to speak with, none to praise,
and surely none to keep
as I passed through another morn,
another death, to be reborn.

The Five Minute Friday prompt this week is SEASON.

'Tis the season for paprika,
fa la la la la, la la, la la!
Helps food to not taste like a sneaker
that's been too long on unwashed paw!
Try some curry powder too,
ting a ling a ling, to add some zing!
It may not be Cordon Bleu,
but it'll fix a nasty chicken wing!
Keep Tabasco on the table,
hot-ot-ot-ot-ot, ot ot, ot ot!
Gulp it down quick as you're able 
ever though taste buds would rather not,
but best to have a mouth that burns
than seeing how your meal returns.

Just under five minutes. Think I'll skip dinner.

Music from The Calling, with Our Lives

Sylvia doesn't care about finding herself. Finding ice cream's more important.





17 comments:

  1. Cute dog pics, Andrew! I'm posting something I wrote last year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do try to find the Me we expected to be. When we should better embrace the Me He's moved us to be
    -Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Heart, what God moves us to be, we must embrace.

      Even when it's unfamiliar, and uncomfortable.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, you always make me laugh! I love that spoof on Fa la la la la.....
    Seriously, though, your writing inspires and also gives something to think about. It's true, we aren't who we used to be and we aren't who we thought we'd be, but if we are following the Lord, He will help us be what He has planned for us to be. Sometimes we don't realize that what He plans is always best even when we don't understand it. Blessings and love to you and Barb and your canine family members, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayl, I'm so glad that this spoke to you!

      It can be really hard, facing what God wants, and putting our strivings aside.

      Delete
  4. I thought you were going Christmas on us for a minute. Wonderful reflections today. Harley and chicken wings, helmets and hot sauce! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, no Christmas, not quite yet. But I'll get there.

      Delete
  5. I love both of these. The first one says so much. What we go through reveals who we were meant to be in the first place. Hard to wrap a head around but the longer one is alive and born again, the more and more these truths are revealed. In the middle of something like that now. Praying for you, and your taste buds!!!! Food is so overrated but we need it to live! And yes, we love to love what we are tasting!!! I just posted on FB for the first time since May 31. Don't know if it is a one time thing or not. I am Mary Hood aka tq housecat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, you hang in there with posting. Your outlook is unique, and valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you Andrew. Terri #16

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a real gift, Andrew.
    Thanks for visiting my blog and making me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful and insightful, Andrew. Your always the first I read! Your FMF friend, Mitzy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun take on Fa-la-la-la-la! Love it! And your first poem made me think about the difference between the Me I thought I'd be, and the Me that Jesus has shaped. sometimes it's not what I would have expected, but God knows better than me who I need to be!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two great poems, Andrew. Made me think about who we were, and are, and will be... I'm convinced that our true self is who God created us to be, and we are becoming, but right now is right where He has put us for that purpose.

    ReplyDelete