Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Thursday, December 1, 2022

La Noblesse


Henry's exhausted.

Yesterday Barb came home for lunch to find me semi-conscious on the floor, at the front door.
I had fallen and hit my head on a space heater, knocking it over.
The dogs righted the heater (also moving it out of the way), and Henry brought me my phone. He also brought a blanket, a book, and a DVD.

No-one taught him this.

He's just a natural, and loves his job, tiring as it sometimes is.

May I present (please say it French)
our deaf Pit Bull, Henri.
If you watch him at any length,
he'll cure your grey ennui.
Joie de vivre's his raison d'etre,
he lives life with elan,
and I will gladly place a bet
you've met not dog nor man
that shows such bright esprit de corps
with all the doggies, les amis,
and who knows how to shut house doors
to keep out all the l'ennemie,
who lives "Un vie heureuse, c'est moi!"
with gros bisous and flailing paw.

The Five Minute Friday prompt this week is INSTANT. I shall therefore write quickly.

In an instant life can alter
brightest plans for future days,
causing injured heart to falter
along what were trusted pathways
to a hope t'would be fulfilled
(thus, Gospel of Prosperity),
but the growing shoot's been killed,
lying cut for all to see.
And how do we pick up the pieces
of a hope quick-gone so wrong?
Has the devil taken leases
that silence the praising song,
or can we yet rise in our love,
hands raised unto our God above?

Three minutes! I'll never do that again.

Music from The Sandpipers, with Come Saturday Morning.

Sylvia approves. But Henry can't have her ice cream.




 







17 comments:

  1. "In an instant life can alter
    brightest plans for future days," -- so true.
    P.S. Henri sounds like un chien super incroyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad to hear of your fall, but I'm so glad you have Henry (and Barb!) to help you get situated again. Smart dogs! "The dogs righted the heater (also moving it out of the way), and Henry brought me my phone. He also brought a blanket, a book, and a DVD."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, the dogs are really a wonder. I never cease to be amazed at how God dovetailed two species to live together so seamlessly.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, I am so sorry for your fall. But thankful for the dogs, and intuition God has given to them. Absolutely amazing how the Lord has taken care of you right down to providing you the right "friends" to care for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, thank you. The dogs are really remarkable; they truly want to learn their 'craft'.

      Delete
  4. Dieu protege Henri, quel bon chien.
    Sorry about the fall. What a great poem, one to tuck away somewhere for those times when life changes in an instant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tish, merci beaucoup! I am so glad that the poem spoke to you!

      Delete
  5. I don't know how you do it. This is why I left 5-minute Friday. I can't write anything in 5 minutes. Yes, I was lying!. It takes me 3 to write my name. Splendid, all of it! And Praise God for Henri!! But he didn't bring you ice cream? Love never fails..." My verse for December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I'm not sure how it works, either. The words and rhyming just flow, seemingly without conscious input. A God thing? I think so. I HOPE so!

      As I write this Henry is dozing off, with his rather huge head resting on my knee.

      Delete
  6. Wow, Henry is a wonder! And the other dogs too. What an amazing gift God has given them to just know how to help and care for you. Your gift with clever poetry amazes me as well. Blessings to you and Barb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kym, the dogs are such a blessing...and Barb thinks that the need for mutual care keeps them, and me, going.

      We're so glad you like the poetry. Blessings back!

      Delete
  7. Henri sure worked hard that day! So glad your dogs were so in tune with what needed to be done. They are gifts, aren't they? And wow! Three minutes is all it took for that second poem? It's so good! Actually they are both good! Yes, we can "yet rise in our love, hands raised unto our God above." I love reading your work, Andrew! Blessings and hugs to you, Barb and the dogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayl, Henri is really a devoted fellow, and positively loves his job, taking care of me. God has blessed me so!

      I'm so happy that you like the poems.

      Blessings and hugs back from everyone here!

      Delete
  8. Thank you, Andrew. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dogs are Angels in action everyday I'm not home. Without them I wouldn't be able to work mostly worry free. Barbara

    ReplyDelete