Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Thursday, December 8, 2022

Horse-drawn Marriage




 

As days dwindle, I think more and more about the most important journey of life, that of marriage.

It's a part of the salvation story, and can't be divorced therefrom. "One flesh," Jesus said. Mark 10:8-10, and that's probably the last specific Scriptural reference you'll see me use.

In so very many ways, I failed, and continue to fail.

I'm hard and flippant and turn everything into a joke. It breaks Barb's heart.

But it's the best I have.

A stallion's what I thought I'd need
to ride into matrimony,
but it turns out my trusty steed
was actually a Shetland Pony,
a hairy little whiskered thing
raised for long work in a pit.
I wondered what this beast could bring,
but Barb minded not a bit,
for she had seen the ins and outs
of marriage through the years;
while stallions do good warlike shouts,
they suck at drying tears
that every groom and every bride
should never have to keep inside.

The Five Minute Friday prompt this week is SIMPLE. Should be easy.

It would be so very cheesy
and you'd quickly call my bluff
if I said that marriage is easy
when everybody knows it's tough.
We come to it with expectations
less of what we'll give than get;
and the attitude alterations
aren't nearly over yet,
not after all these twenty years
of living weird on weird,
but through it all I find my fears
have gone and disappeared,
replaced by the sure certainty
that this one's for eternity.

Just under four minutes! Longer than it took me to decide that Barb was The One.

Music from Guster, with Do You Love Me?.

This song has a history for us. Every Christmas, Albuquerque runs the River Of Light, decking out the botanical gardens with sparkly decorations.

Last time I was able to go, this song was playing on the PA system. I noted some of the lyrics, never having heard it before... and my search was successful.

Sylvia knows we love her. Ice cream is proof. And she doesn't share with horses.






25 comments:

  1. Marriage is a beautiful gift that we treasure with both our heart and mind. We have many failings, especially in our youth, but by the grace of God, we keep growing closer to Him and each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I remember right, we were acting goofy and folks were looking at us like we'd lost our marbles.
    The joy of being anonymous. - Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Heart, yes... remember skipping down the aisle at our wedding?

      And the bouquet catching fire?

      Delete
  3. Andrew, marriage is not a journey for the faint of heart but it sure does fill our hearts with much love and joy and laughter! And it is a tool in the hands of our God that grows and matures us to be more like Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, yes! Not for the faint of heart, but as we pass through the refiner's fire of marriage, God more clearly sees His own reflection in the melt.

      Delete
  4. One's broken heart opens another's. A poet makes sense out of every sense of a word. Marriage is an uphill battle, both ways. Praying for you both!!!! And those lovely doggies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way you said that, Mary, that one's broken heart opens another's.

      And we thank you so much for your prayers!

      Delete
  5. After pondering for so long (under 4 minutes), I'm glad Barb agreed with your decision! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  6. These poems are simply lovely. Seems to me that you and Barb have faced all the challenges with love and grace and humour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kym, thank you so much for this. Barb brought the grace, I bring the humour (too much, at times), and somehow it works.

      Delete
  7. What a fun poem!! What a lovely memory! I love how music can awaken memories and hope in us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daisy Dronen www.daisyfdronen.com

      Delete
    2. Daisy, you're so right, about the impact music can have.

      And thank you so much for the gracious affirmation!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for your beautiful poems on marriage and tying it into the Jesus story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted that you enjoyed the poems, and that the Scripture tie-in spoke to you!

      Delete
  9. Once again, you inspire me, Andrew. My own marriage is shaky but I love hearing that you and Barb are doing well amidst many struggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, thank you...and we will be praying for you.

      Delete
  10. Your poem reminded me of a book on the history of horses that I read with my daughter. We were fascinated over pit ponies. Such strength and resilience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, the pit ponies had strength, endurance, and from what I have heard, great character.

      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Falling in love and getting married certainly isn’t like what they portray in the movies! It’s a lot more work and a lifetime commitment. But oh, so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, you're so right... definitely not a RomCom, but I am so glad that both Barb and I took the chance...twice (we married, divorced, and remarried...the second time in a helicopter over the Las Vegas strip, at night...and by a Catholic priest, courtesy an archbishop's dispensation).

      Delete
  12. Yeah, marriage is tough and hard and sometimes incredibly frustrating and disappointing. After 46 years I know that to be true. But when all is said and done, there's no one else I'd rather be with. And God's choice for my life partner has been exactly the one I needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I apologise; I did not see your comment until now.

      And I feel the same way; no-one else with whom I would prefer to share life.

      Delete