Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Thursday, April 30, 2015

A Door To Hope (Five Minute Friday)

Time for Five Minute Friday, hosted by the inimitable Kate Motaung (www.katemotaung.com).

Today's keyword for five minutes of writing is DOOR.

Losing hope is getting too easy. Too many nights awake with pain as a companion, too many mornings when the operative phrase for the day's duties is "this is gonna hurt".

And it all starts afresh tomorrow. Sometimes I confess...I don't WANT to.

But my days are duty days; duty to support my wife in her new career, duty to the rescued dogs the Almighty has brought to our door, duty to the people who have found a helping hand in my writing.

Duty to hold dear and valued the riches that permeate my dwelling-place.

Nowhere is "feelin' good" mentioned, because feelings - and health - are transitory.

You do your  job, the one God apportioned.

Hope comes through Him, and Him alone. And He touches our lives through our being His hands.

His work. Our duty. My honour.

Honour is forever.

And my duties, carried out with a full heart, are the Doorway to Hope.

Still having a hard time getting back to reply to comments, but please, please do leave them.

18 comments:

  1. Andrew, what a beautiful post. How often have we, at one point or another, given in to the feelings rather than done what needed doing? You're right, we need to do what God's given us to do, and not let feelings railroad us in a different direction. I love what you said about how, when we carry out the duties God gives us, we find that door to the hope only He can give.

    I'm still praying for you. Often. Stay strong in Him, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, thank you so much...and thank you for the continued prayers. Rough days, but Ake Ake Kia Kaha - "Forever Strong"!

      Delete
  2. Was reminded of Hebrews 11:1 as I read this: "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." The Message version puts it like this: "The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. It’s our handle on what we can’t see."

    It's neat to see this lived out in your post...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the Scriptural reference - that puts a nice now on it! I knew there was one, but it escaped me. Much obliged!

      Delete
  3. This is a beautiful post Andrew! Hope is so amazing and I love thinking of hope as a door that is opened to us to share and welcome others in. Still praying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara...one thing I've learned is that it's all about the sharing. What I will take with me from this life will be meaningful only in the context of community.

      And thank you for the prayers. Need 'em.

      Delete
  4. I've been thinking about you and praying for you, my friend. May you wakeup in the morning feeling renewed by hope and the gentle grace of our Savior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise - you have been in my prayers as well.

      Dark nights of late, but look! Behold the stars.

      Delete
  5. Wow. 'His work. Our duty. My honour.'
    To read this written 'out loud' just blew me away. This is a lost value in our world today, and it brings my heart so much hope to see you express it - and live it. I'm inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just made my evening, and gave me energy to go on. Thank you so much. It was an evil day...but evil Wil not win

      Delete
  6. Loved your post.....duty.....that powerful force.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without duty, dear friend, of what value is Love?

      Delete
  7. Brother, your words encourage me every time I come here. Your commitment and faith in the face of suffering...it is a beauty to behold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie...it works both ways. The comments keep me going, even when I'm not up to answering.

      You guys are lifesavers, believe me. It would be easy to lose hold of life without the context of community.

      Delete
  8. Do your job ... don't rely on feelings ... I needed to hear that.

    A word of prayer is forever on my heart for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelli, thank you so much.

      Prayers from a Texas-sized heart are sure appreciated...and back at you!

      Delete
  9. I'm certain that you are quite skilled at doing your "duty," Andrew. I'm sure the military and your temperament have been the glue to bring these important pieces together in your life. We all need to take a lesson from you! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, thank you. You brought a smile, and humility, to my heart.

      Delete