Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Thursday, January 26, 2023

The War On Childhood


It's been a rough week. Our beloved fifteen-year-old Boxer Shelby died, I had a relapse of malaria (the ringing in my ears makes conversation almost impossible), and the cancer thing seems to steal more breath each day.

Still and all, I am lucky, for some things are far worse.

Do you remember stickball played
beneath white clouds and smiling sun?
Did you amble through a forest glade,
and do nothing just for fun?
Did Saturday once call to you
with sparkle-laughter in its eyes;
much to see and more to do,
and 'round each hill a new surprise?
But today all this has got to go,
innocence comes to a close.
Now childhood's activist sex-show
and we must kowtow to those 
who demand the world be rid
of what it means to be a kid.

"But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea."

Matthew 18:6

Music from Kenny Loggins, with House On Pooh Corner.

Sylvia understands this. She was denied a puppyhood. We found her abandoned in a summer field, six months old, with a dead puppy in her womb.



13 comments:

  1. I'm so sad to hear about Shelby! May the Lord comfort you and Barb. Malaria!?! Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thank you so much. Losing Shelby was tough.

      And I definitely would not recommend malaria!

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss as I know these dogs are dear to you and Barb. May God comfort you and also bring healing from the malaria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, thank you for this. Shelby's passing was dignified and quiet (unlike her life!), and the whole house mourns.

      Delete
  3. Oh I'm so sorry about Shelby's passing. And sorry that you're dealing with malaria on top of everything. And oh how my heart breaks for the little ones being used and deceived by evil. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kym, thank you so much. Shelby was the best pal of Labby, an immense and imaginatively named Labrador. He's heartbroken.

      Delete
  4. So glad I clicked so I can offer my condolences we love our fur kids so much as well, grace and peace as you mourn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leisa, thank you. I guess that in this life, love and pain are always intermingled.

      Delete
  5. I’m so sorry that your dog died. It’s so hard to lose our pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, thank you. It is hard when they die; it leaves a hole.

      Delete
  6. Your words speak volumes to me as I read them. Bless you, as my prayers continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, thank you for this. The post was hard to write.

      Delete
  7. Andrew, first I am so sorry about Shelby. I know that's a loss. Secondly, your words are spot-on. It's truly heartbreaking to see how the young in our culture have lost innocence and been pushed into decisions they're not really capable of choosing wisely on. Truly heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete