Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Thursday, April 7, 2022

How Dry I Am

Ok, serious week. Two comas (defined as, "You were completely unresponsive.").

And huge setbacks in physical ability, like, hey, breathing.

So I won't be serious here. This is the time to get completely plastered, except that Josephus Daniels might not agree.

He was Secretary of the Navy from 1913 to 1921. He ordained that the Navy should be dry.

Yeah, well. Smuggle the booze past the Jimmy-legs, and let's go.

 Josephus Daniels, nasty man!
Josephus Daniels, why
did you have that evil plan
to keep the Navy dry?
A ship's a floating prison
inhabited by goats,
deserving the derision
of calling vessels 'boats',
and that's why the tradition
that Nelson understands
of granting kind permission
of tots to all the hands...
but, Josephus, you're a bum
for holding back our tot of rum!

The Five Minute Friday prompt this week is EXPLORE. Let's explore that.

We have explored the question
of why the Navy's dry
at Daniels' cruel suggestion
that's echoed, my, oh, my
through a pair of global wars
and piping days of peace,
through each swabbie who ignores
this edict, to unease
of harassed division-head
responsible for conduct pure
of his men, but instead
of making double-sure
legality won't come a-cropper,
turns blind eye to the chain-locker.

Five minutes, and it is what it is.

Music from Jimmy Buffett, with Margaritaville.

Sylvia will have some rum-flavoured ice cream, thank you very much. So will I.







25 comments:

  1. Prayers for you and your health! It was great to stop by and to learn a bit about Josephus Daniels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren, thank you so much for your prayers!

      Josephus Daniels was, love him or loathe him, an interesting guy.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, I am so sorry the week was so rough. Praying for you, and for Barb, the is morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, we're very grateful for your thoughts and prayers.

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed this, Andrew. Knowing when to turn a Nelsonian eye (18th century UK Admiral with an eye patch) is crucial to good leadership!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tish, excellent point about the Nelsonian eye! Perfect!

      Delete
  4. I'm sad to hear it was a challenging week, Andrew. May the Lord give you grace in the transition. I'm not sure that Daniels is the answer, though that is a personal opinion that you can ignore or heed. I hope all the dogs are well, comforting and entertaining in the right ratio and timing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thank you so much. The transition is rough, and getting harder.

      I'm not actually fond of alcohol, and with severe pancreatic issues its use could be seen as idiotic. I'm sort of out of options for pain management, and red wine is actually a blood-builder. During WW2 it was encouraged to allow people to give blood every week.

      Delete
  5. I learn something each time I visit your site - thank you always for sharing your journey and honest faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, thank YOU for being here, and for your friendship.

      Delete
  6. So sorry to hear of your latest (ongoing) challenges - keeping you and yours in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, we thank you so very much for your thoughts and prayers!

      Delete
  7. Sorry that you had a rough week. I pray that next week is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, thanks...this week has actually been worse than last, but I am counting it all joy, which is easier than it may seem!

      Delete
  8. Andrew, I'm sorry toy had a bad week. This is a very interesting post. Continued prayers for you and Barb. Keep on, Keeping on my friend. Blessings.
    FMF#20

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction, I'm sorry YOU had a bad week.

      Delete
    2. Paula, we're so glad you enjoyed this post, and so grateful for your prayers!

      For some reason I still can't see your posts. I will keep trying.

      Delete
  9. Stay strong, stay true, and carry on. <--lyrics from Carry On by Our Atlantic Roots. Psalm 29:11
    He will give his people strength. He will bless them with peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, thank you so much for this. I'll keep on going. It's worth it, and I am at peace.

      Delete
  10. I can't imagine how difficult (and scary!) this time is for you and your family. Lord, I pray you would give Andrew the strength to carry on, to fight the good fight. Lord, I can only imagine how tired and defeated he must feel. God, you have a plan and a purpose for Andrew, and I pray that you will carry him so that he can complete it. In Jesus' name, Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, I so appreciate this lovely prayer! Thank you so much.

      Delete
  11. Sending much love and many prayers. I'm grateful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry it was such a rough week. :-( Continued prayers for you each day. And as Jack Sparrow would say, "But where's me rum?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kym, thank you so very much for your prayers... and Barb says that Jack Sparrow is my alter ego!

      Delete