Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Your Dying Spouse 313 - Now Is All

I apologise that I am too ill to write much today. Too much pain, too much fatigue, and there is a part of me that wants to go home.

But I don't think of Heaven, not ever. I'm not anticipating it, not looking forward to it'...not wondering what it will be like.

Not because I don't believe. I do. It's simply that there's no way I can predict it, and there's no point is spoiling the now by looking forward to the next.

If nothing else, this illness has taught me, truly, that all is now.

And how I handle now is a pretty good indicator of both my temporal future, and my eternal one.

The present moment is not a seed to be planted for tomorrow's harvest. It's a totally mature git from God, and it can only be enjoyed as it's given.

This moment cannot be hoarded, or traded.

And it deserves to be enjoyed for exactly what it is.


And now for some music...Jimmy Buffett's Come Monday with an introduction by the margaritaville Man himself.




14 comments:

  1. Beautiful words, Andrew. "The present moment is not a seed to be planted for tomorrow's harvest. It's a totally mature git from God, and it can only be enjoyed as it's given."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, thank you so much!

      And I really appreciate your taking the time to read and comment; I'm truly honoured.

      Delete
  2. It's a hard task not to look forward when the present is so very daunting. That you continue to live in the moment is an encouragement I'll take with me today, friend.

    Tomorrow's out of our hands and in God's. I have to trust that He loves me ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you're so right - the temptation to look ahead, past 'this place of wrath and tears' (this from Housman) can be almost irresistible.

      And yes, tomorrow is in God's Hands. No matter what happens, He does love you.

      Thanks so much for being here!

      Delete
  3. "This moment cannot be hoarded, or traded. And it deserves to be enjoyed for exactly what it is." Such wise words, Andrew. Sometimes we spend so much time wondering about the future or pondering the past, but we need to be right here in the present with our whole being.

    You continue to be an inspiration even in the midst of your pain. Also, I wanted to let you know I finished reading Emerald Isle, and I loved it! So many twists and a surprise ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayl, thank you so much for these lovely, affirming words. And I am so glad you enjoyed Emerald Isle!

      Delete
  4. You're a lot like me, Andrew! I long to know Jesus face to face, but I can't say I long for heaven--because I'm clueless as to what it's like and for me, anticipation needs knowledge--and we just can't know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, if I'm like you I am in very good company!

      And that's absolutely right...we can't know what being in God's presence will be like. The tidbits we get in Scripture are like the lights of a city, seen from far away at night. They let us see an outline, but the reality is so much richer!

      Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Norma, I truly appreciate the prayers. Thank you, my friend.

      Delete
  6. No point in spoiling the now by looking to the next.
    Paradigm shift! Thank you for that! I often do that, largely because I'm anticipating a difficulty and trying to figure out, in advance, how to avoid it. When it might not even happen!

    Don't ruin NOW by preparing for the NEXT. That is an awesome takeaway. I always get something from your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I think it was Mark Twain who said that most of the things he worried about never happened.

      I so appreciate the grace and kindness in your comment. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Andrew, I've been praying for you, my friend. I so appreciate your exhortation to live in the present moment. You're right. God gives us each moment as a gift. Why would we hoard it or fritter it away wishing/living for the future at the cost of the present?

    I'm going to remember this. On the hard days with my kids (nothing like your hard days), I sometimes look to the future. I want to live with who they are in the now, not wish and hope for who I want them to be in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, first and foremost, I so appreciate your prayers!

      I'm so glad this post resonated with you; children grow so very quickly, and in the words of 'Aerosmith's Steven Tyler, "I don't want to miss a thing".

      Even on the hard days, because sometimes the hard places in the road show you how far you've come.

      Delete