Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Your Dying Spouse 138 - Caregiver Down Time

Sometimes, you need a break...


Yesterday, Barbara took Sylvia to Sonic, and they had lunch.

They needed time away from illness, time away from 'work'. time away from 'terminal'.

If you're a caregiver, you need that, too.

It's not a failing. No athlete, no machine can continue to work indefinitely without rest or servicing.

If you need the time, take it, and there is no need for an explanation as to why you need it. You don't have to justify.

In case you're wondering about ladron, Service-Dog-In Chief...Heelers do not take breaks, period.

Be nice to you, dear caregiver...you are important.

Not just as a caregiver.

YOU ARE IMPORTANT FOR WHO YOU ARE.

Please pardon the brevity of this post. Had a bit of trouble today...Barbara told me I collapsed outside, and it took her 90 minutes to get me back into the house. She's not a large person, and her back is compromised, so carrying me's not an option.

I'm pretty tired.

If you can, please do leave a comment. I am trying to answer all, and I am failing, but please know this - I read and treasure each one.

Below are my recent releases on Kindle -please excuse their presence in the body of the blog. I haven't the energy to get them up as 'buttons' in the sidebar. You can click on the covers to go to the Amazon links (they're 99 cents each). And if you'd like a free PDF, please email me at tempusfugit02 (at) gmail (dot) com, and I'll gladly send them












23 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope you're feeling better by now. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lux, thank you so much...it will be a slow recovery, but I'll take it as it comes. Thank you for being here!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for persevering in your blogging and sharing -- in spite of everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gives meaning to all of this, Michele...and hope, if not for me, for others.

      Thank you for being here!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad Barbara got some time away. That is so good! Take care and praying you have a great week! (Stopping by from Inspire Me Monday)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, she - and Sylvia - really needed it!

      We so appreciate your kind thoughts and prayers!

      Delete
  4. My best to Barbara ... and Sylvia, too! Looks like you might have missed a bit of ice cream, huh?

    ;-{

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did...but I can't really face ice cream these days anyway! A bit of rice with marinara sauce - mild - is a high ambition.

      Your greetings conveyed, and received with gratitude. Syl asks if you could send some more ice cream?

      Delete
  5. Andrew, I am sorry for your fall. I do hope you are doing better. May God give you strength and your Barbara too! Thank you for encouraging those of us who are caregivers to also take care of ourselves. Without guilt. You are a blessing to so many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, thank you...you kind and loving words mean the world to us.

      We do our best, because we are truly blessed, and what can we do but try to share?

      Delete
  6. Thinking of you, Andrew. I hope you are feeling better. Praying for you right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelli, thank you for the thoughts and prayers!

      I'm sorry I haven't been up to commenting on your blog recently. It's been a bad few weeks, but I'll be back!

      Delete
  7. Just stumbled across your blog and I hope you are feeling better now. So sorry you fell. God bless you each and every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thank you so much! We really appreciate the kindness and love in your words, and we're so glad you're here.

      Delete
  8. We all need rest. Even more so when we're dealing with hard things. I'm glad Barbara was able to getaway. Praying that you've recovered from your fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. June, thanks...Barbara did need the time, and so did Syl. She watches me while I sleep, and so she gets very little rest...or fun. The ice cream was a real treat!

      I'm healing, slowly. But the blow to the head was kind of hard, and I'm still feeling the effects.

      So glad you're here!

      Delete
  9. Just rest my friend; you are right about the down-time! We ALL need that down-time!! Fortunately I was able to do so this past weekend...now, it down-time and rest and get caught up time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were able to rest, Barbara! And I am following your example.

      Delete
  10. Sonic. Good choice. Good for her, and lucky Sylvia.
    Praying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norma, thank you...it worked out well, and Syl wants to go back. Like...uh, now.

      So grateful for the prayers!

      Delete
  11. Down time is definitely needed and the fact that you can see that for YOUR caregiver speaks volumes for you, and your caregiver. Blessings, Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, thank you so much! I loved your post about jumping, but was not really well enough to frame a reply.

      We are so grateful that you are here!

      Delete
  12. Andrew, I love the pic of Sylvia enjoying a Sonic offering. You're right, caregivers do need breaks. It's good for us to remember that. Even for those who aren't caring for a terminally ill loved one, we all need breaks. When the pressure on us is constant, we grow weak. Those breaks restore us to be what we need to be.

    Thanks for the important reminder that breaks are a GOOD, strengthening thing. I'm praying for you and Barb, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete