Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Thursday, September 14, 2023

It's Been A Beautiful Life



 

Henri Matisse once visited Auguste Renoir, and saw how difficult it was for the old master to hold a brush, due to his rheumatoid arthritis.

"Why do you punish yourself so!" cried Matisse.

"The pain passes, my friend, but the beauty remains."

I don't count beauty in my words.

I count it in the many dogs and cats who found a home here, and none were ever turned away.

Sure, it's been hard, and exhausting, and sometimes heartbreaking.

And instead of a video, here's Anthony Hopkins with the most powerful prayer in the world.

Yeah, that.

That's the resume I am giving to God.

Amidst the wide world's loud bright chatter,
soft hurting eyes are turned to me,
and in the end it doesn't matter
what I thought that I might be
compared to hurt, compared to fear,
compared to hell lived on this Earth.
Yeah, okay, we'll share a beer,
and in this house you'll find rebirth
from the hard life you've been living
that you never could deserve.
From here on you will be given
every thing, and I will serve
your needs as my worn aching heart
tries each day to do its part.

OK. And yes, dogs and cats do enjoy beer.

The Five Minute Friday prompt this week is ESCAPE.

I once thought I'd outrace time,
and death would be left in far dust;
eternal summer would be mine,
and thus in mine own strength I'd trust,
and not deign to wait upon
a Lord I could not hear nor see,
but now those days are truly gone;
one can almost say the same for me!
But a funny thing did happen
en route to my bare funeral:
Jesus popped out, fingers snappin',
and said my joy could still be full,
'cause what's supposed to be a tomb
is God's eternal party room.

Three minutes flat. Did I get away with it?

Sylvia was found in a high-summer southwestern field, abandoned with a dead puppy in her womb, left to die.

She deserves all the ice cream she can eat.


19 comments:

  1. What a powerful quote, Andrew, "The pain passes but the beauty remains."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks...and yes, I have all my heart could ever need!

      Well, I still want a Ferrari.

      Delete
  3. If you were here, we'd share a beer.
    At our local brewery with pear cider and places to hide her...
    It is a beautiful space for friends and your spouse,
    It's one of our favorite places to escape our house.

    Living one life with those you hold dear,
    Is something we can always seek to cheer.
    I pray your days continue to be great,
    and that your posts continue on love not hate.

    Your mood is admirable at best,
    and we know you're passing the test.
    To be close to Him even in the pain.
    To await the beautiful reign.
    To heaven we all hope to go,
    Until them we will have to be a pro...
    at love, at life, and at His will.
    Love,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, this is just lovely. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, Andrew. Praying you along in your journey to eternal beauty and rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, thank you for this, and for your prayers!

      Delete
  5. "'cause what's supposed to be a tomb
    is God's eternal party room."

    I love this. Thank you for sharing your words and your heart. Sylvia is a beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I am delighted that you enjoyed this...and Syl agrees that she's beautiful!

      Delete
  6. So good! Glad you're still here. Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Norma, I am glad I'm still here too. Work left to be done.

      Delete
  7. It's a pretty powerful resume! not sure about Hopkins' prayer - I think the hope in the last line of your escape poem trumps that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, thank you...and on this most dreadful of mornings, Hopkins' prayer does resonate.

      I ain't gonna quit.

      Delete
  8. So glad you've been free to open your home to so many kits and pups over the years. FMF15

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette, the dogs and cats...and the occasional mouse...have validated what I thought I might become.

      Delete
  9. I love your poem, Andrew, and the hope that exudes. I'm so glad you've found solace in helping animals and the joy they bring to you. Looking forward to sharing God's eternal party room with you. Kath, visiting from FMF #21 this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, thank you so much. I think that dogs and cats (and, yes, OK, mice) can reflect God's love far better than people do.

      Delete