Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Thursday, June 8, 2023

Missing Link



Another day,
another fall,
a new concussion protocol.

Things are getting hairy.

Someone give Darwin a call,
he surely won't know what to think!
We've gone and done and solved it all;
we have found the Missing Link!
He's been living quietly
among us lo these many years,
a member of society,
eating pizza, drinking beers,
bowling ev'ry Thursday night,
and off to church each Sunday morn,
tying wild hair very tight
(he can't bear to see it shorn).
He's been right here all this time,
and now he writes this very rhyme.

The Five Minute Friday prompt this week is HIDDEN. Can't hide from it.

I do not want to hide away
from that which is killing me;
I ask that I be kept in play,
and that I face quite willingly
that which may be yet in store,
those dread days that lie ahead,
and that I can still take some more
that some-one-where can live instead
a life that's free of pain and fear,
a life with future that is bright
with hope and all of those held dear,
while it is I to face the night
that by God's love and boundless grace
allows me to take their place.

Three minutes. I think about this sometimes, that maybe all the pain and humiliation of cancer got dropped on me instead of someone else.

Probably theologically really wrong, but if there's any truth in it, it's worth it, and I'd do it all again.

I'm not a good man. I just don't like seeing people hurt, and standing in the gap, that's not noble. It's my job.

Besides, some-one-where is a cool word.

The only appropriate music is the Blast From The Past rarity.

 Sylvia doesn't make mind living with an ape-man, as long as he understands ice cream.




 

30 comments:

  1. I love the raw honesty in your writing!

    FMF#3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, thank you so much! 'Raw' is a really good word to describe the past week.

      Delete
  2. I have no answer for why you are going through this cancer journey. What I do know is this ... through your transparency, you display Christ who is in you. You remind me to stay hidden in Christ, our only source of strength and hope. Praying for you this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, I am so very honoured by your words and prayers.

      Delete
  3. May the Lord continue to give you and Barb His grace to walk this journey, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, we thank you, from the bottom of our hearts.

      Delete
  4. I'm no good at poetry,
    but I'm thankful you share your st-o-ry.
    You lift me up each week I write,
    with your quips, never trite.
    Your poem comments are a lift,
    Don't underestimate your unique gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This poem is very deep, and brings to the surface my memories of someone in our family who returned from a near death experience. Now we know in part, but then we shall see face to face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tish, yes...we see only darkly here, but when the lights come on..!

      Delete
  6. Andrew, I am behind in reading. Maybe I am right on time, who knows? I love your poems. May I share one I wrote this morning. I do words, not numbers. God knows numbers.
    God's Math
    Letters are always the variables
    Numbers are always the staid
    Though my words may swirl like the wind
    Truth stands like a stone on a grave
    Beckoning each who walk by
    To look beyond the message inscribed
    When you add God to every equation
    Heaven ‘s doors will be open wide
    Every word writ or spoken
    Will ne'er tell the story in full
    But the WORD of the LORD stands forever
    And He smells the crap from the bull

    And what's more important than ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, your poem is SO GOOD!

      And yes, nothing beats ice cream.

      Delete
  7. BTW, I fell out of bed this week and thought I got a concussion but nope, a bum hand for a while. (Probably from words that I said). Prayers for you alllwaaayyys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Falling out of bed is so embarrassing! And so sorry about your hand, Mary.

      Delete
  8. Take care, my friend. I'm praying for you. God knows how tough it is for you. I'm glad you don't share the ugly stuff. You are amazing. Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Norma, thank you so much... you're always in my prayers.

      Delete
  9. Andrew, your poems are always so good! I love that you just keep on writing even when the pain is great. I pray that God will give you strength and that you and Barb will be so blessed by Him. Love and hugs to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayl, however hard it gets (and this week was really bad), there are blessings for the asking, and there is God-provided strength.

      Delete
  10. Love your poems. As usual hitting the target. Bringing prayers for you and yours in heart and mind. Blessings of glory awaiting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this, and especially for your prayers. Glory indeed awaits.

      Delete
  11. Some-one-where is a cool word! :) and yes, I'd rather stand in the gap for someone too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette, I like some-one-where almost as much as 'frogularity'.

      Delete
  12. There's healing in your words. Thank you for the song as well. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicci, thank YOU, and I'm delighted that you enjoyed The Monkees!

      Delete
  13. Some-one-where is a very cool word, I agree. And while I don't know that your suffering with cancer means someone else isn't, I'm very sure that the courage, honesty, hope, and humor that you share here means others (including me) are being encouraged and blessed. And we, the some-ones-where (I'm not sure how to pluralize that?) are standing in the gap praying for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kym, you said this so well! We all do stand in the gap, as Christians, for each other.

      Delete
  14. A concussion on top of everything else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, with the concussion I had a 'Really?' feeling!

      Delete
  15. Andrew, the depth of your poems is always striking and thought provoking. I am truly grateful for your vulnerability in letting us into your journey and your unapologetic way of sharing truth without all the fluff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, thank you for this. I do try to share the things of which I was totally unaware when this all began... especially the realization that life is still overflowing with blessings. Cancer doesn't change that.

      Delete