Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Thursday, February 2, 2023

To The Child I Had No Chance To Meet



 


This is for everyone who has a child they never met, waiting for them in Heaven.

The precious baby of my heart,
whose earthly life I could not see,
is waiting, yes, to be a part
of the wonder that’s to be.
I think he will be tall and strong,
so gentle, and so fair of face,
and I do hope it won’t be long
until our meeting, full of grace
when he tells me of the time
that while I wept, he played with God,
hopscotch and jump rope divine,
on that playground bright and broad
on which his new-found body thrived
to see the day that I arrived.

The sonnet above was written this morning as a comment for Bob Hostetler's post on the Steve Laube Agency blog,  "6 Joys Of Finishing A Writing Project"

The Five Minute Friday prompt this week is IGNORE.

Today, ignore the sorrow,
today, ignore the lack,
but know that by tomorrow
they will be coming back.
Drink ye hearty, to forget
'till hands are all a-tremor,
but you'll find that even yet
you will still remember
the ghost within that has no face,
that did not come to be,
and yet will demand a place
a-seat upon your knee,
for only thus are wiped away
the tears for he who had no day

Three minutes thirty.

Music from MercyMe, with Homesick.

When we found Sylvia, she had a dead puppy in her womb. She grieved, too.




25 comments:

  1. Thanks Andrew, you captured grief and have held it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, your writing blesses. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly believe that our babies who never got to grow up will be waiting for us in Heaven.

    💔🫂
    FMF#5

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have several little ones that have gone before us, Andrew. Two books really helped me process our little ones in heaven: Nine Days in Heaven by Dennis & Nolene Prince is a modern reprint of Marietta Davis story written in 1859, and My Time in Heaven by Richard Sigmund. Both books have chapters about babies and children in heaven. It is quite encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thank you for mentioning these resources. I know many will find them vital.

      And I am so sorry for your losses.

      Delete
  5. I don't usually get poetic but here goes, Andrew, please forgive my feeble efforts.
    Sorrow buried in the heart,
    Pushed deep down to take no part
    In the life that must be lived,
    To survive, grow up and give.

    Feelings harden, sadness deadens,
    Cutting off or sense of heaven,
    To hide the loss, conceal the aches,
    How much energy it takes!

    Open up, reveal the wound!
    Let the Holy Spirit soothe
    With his balm and healing touch
    Releasing pain that hurt too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tish, this poem is LOVELY! Thank you so much for sharing it!

      Delete
  6. I'm reminded of the line from the David Crowder song "Come As You Are"
    - Earth has no sorrow that heaven can't heal -
    and here we are, awaiting the healing.
    Love and prayers, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kym, Come As You Are is a perfect match. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Too many stories could I tell but today I choose silence. A poignant write. May God's blessings and my prayers find their way to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful and poignant, Andrew! I love the photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley, I am so glad that the words and pictures touched you!

      Delete
  9. Your writing here has blessed me so much, Andrew. Only this last month of January, Holy Spirit encouraged me to name the three babies I had labelled and forgotten as miscarriages many years ago. I asked the Lord to reveal their names, which He did. They would be now 15, 16 and 17 years old, but I will have eternity to get to know them in their true heavenly home. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so touched and grateful that you chose to share the naming of the three children you did not get to meet in this life.

      Bless you.

      Delete
  10. Andrew, this was beautiful, and wow, you brought tears with your first one. We had a miscarriage MANY years ago. I look forward to meeting that child in heaven one day. Thank you for sharing a piece of your heart in these poems, my friend. I love your photos too. Beautiful post all the way around. Sending prayers yours and Barbara's way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, thank you for sharing your experience, and for your prayers.

      I'm so sorry you had to go through that, but all of the tears of this life, so carefully saved by God, will make the meeting to come sparkle.

      Delete
  11. Andrew, what a beautiful way to express the sorrow! You've captured it well. My first miscarriage was many years ago, and I had a few more since then. I guess I had let so many other things push back those memories. Not sure I ever fully grieved them, but God still is a comfort and I look forward to meeting them. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came back to this post to see if you had responded to my comment, and apparently the comment was never recorded. So again, the first sonnet is very beautiful and touching, and I have saved it to share.
    And then I had asked you if Barb takes the sky pictures you have been posting. They are amazing. You are blessed with a magnificent view.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This takes the moment and brings life to it. I loved my little unborn child, though it was just a memory to most. Thanks for bringing it back to me.

    ReplyDelete