Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Thursday, October 27, 2022

Heaven

Yes, Heaven is real.

I've been there, through the lens of death become birth.

First some pictures, then the poem.


 


How can I relate to you
where I traveled on that night,
make it bold and bright and true
that as I passed into the light,
that when a final breath did pass
I heard a lovely joyous song,
and stepped out on the living grass
to join a happy dancing throng
beneath a vast and coloured sky,
so fresh and sparkling clean,
a breeze that was a holy sigh
of happiness upon that scene…
on Earth I now know Heaven’s lack,
but also know that I’ll be back.

It’s very hard to describe the essence of a near-death experience, and that loveliest of destinations, without sounding like a bit of a crank.

But I promised I would try.

One thing that I think validates the experience is that while I am not a People Person, I was immersed in a crowd. I don't think it bespeaks a wish to be social; it's just the reality of the place, and, perhaps, a gentle nudge from God that I need to change.

(This first appeared as a comment to Bob Hostetler's post 7 Favorite Writer Destinations on the Steve Laube Agency blog.)

The Five Minute Friday prompt this week is WHILE.

Coincidentally, Barb picked up a movie from the library for me..."While You Were Sleeping."

I love romantic comedies.

While I walk upon this Earth
I know that not far up ahead
there lies the glorious rebirth
that gives lie to the phrase, "He's dead.",
for I have been there and have seen
promise made actuality,
more real than a waking dream,
a solid practicality
that turns this sad world upsidedown,
that makes of somberness a joke,
that makes a Pharisee a clown
who from his inner dark has woke
to find the journey that he's on
is lit by an eternal dawn.

Four minutes thirty-nine seconds.

Music from Montell Jordan and Beckah Shae, with Shake Heaven.

And in heaven there  is ICE CREAM.



 

23 comments:

  1. I love that there is a crowd in heaven! I'm an introvert too, but I have forced myself into the joys of being an extrovert at times. I think GOD loves community. I think He knows we need it. Bring on the crowd! BUT, wait until the time is right for each of us. Prayers you enjoy the movies and sunrise/sunsets meanwhile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, I think you have it just right, that God knows we need community. I have an object lesson around me...the dogs far prefer the pack that runs our house to individualism!

      Delete
  2. How amazing to see the crowd - "every tribe and every nation." Andrew, you are truly a blessing even while you journey along this painful and difficult path. You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, thank you... it's a hard path, but I suspect that God is preparing me for the tribe to which I'll belong in Heaven, through friends like you.

      Delete
  3. Great blog Andrew! I am looking forward to seeing the people I have loved and lost, waiting there for me. I look forward to seeing Jesus, and all of the men and women in the Bible. What a day of rejoicing that will be! When we all see Jesus- we’ll sing and shout the victory!
    ❤️Terri #8 FMF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, I agree...and fully agree with Paul that to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

      Delete
  4. A dear friend spoke of her small visit to heaven and how the river of life took away all the physical pain and brought complete renewal - spirit, soul and body. She spoke of the encompassing love, the complete peace, and inexpressible joy while there. She said it was so hard to come back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that there are crowds and grass in heaven and the topsy-turviness it brings.
    Just stopped by from FMF#12

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I think that maybe God loves a happy chaos.

      Delete
  6. Every tribe and every nation - how beautiful to think of it. What a comfort to know that heaven is real and that it's our destination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kym, Heaven is real, it's beyond beautiful...and it's FUN.

      Delete
  7. Sometimes we're so preoccupied in the stuff of the here and now that we forget the place that matters most.

    Thanks for the nudge today, Andrew. Hope you guys have an interesting weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you're so right. We forget.

      The weekend was interesting; Barb had the stomach flu, and we learned, a bit more, about co-operation.

      Our best efforts may be filthy rags, but sometimes these tell the tales that grace overlooks.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the pictures and poem. I agree, heaven must involve community, it is a city, after all. Grass is very restful, especially in cities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tish, thank you for this. Grass is indeed restful, and living on a sere desert mesa, I have not seen it in years.

      Delete
  9. Love your poem about heaven, Andrew.
    Did Barb take the pictures? They are beautiful.
    Praying for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grams, I am delighted that you enjoyed this.

      It was actually I who took the pictures. Barb is not an early riser.

      Thank you so much for your prayers!

      Delete
  10. Andrew, I'm so glad I linked up beside you. I'm so encouraged by your glimpse of Heaven. I'm an introvert, too, so a crowd may not be the first thing I want to see, but I imagine in Heaven, the throngs are not judging like they do here on earth?! I truly enjoyed your poetry and pics of God's artwork and your precious pup. I have a beagle named Sadie :)
    Blessings,
    Bev xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bev, I am so glad you are here!

      I've always gotten by on my own company, but since we opened our home to every stray dog that happened by, I am maybe being moulded by God to see that we are made for community. They want to be part of a pack, and in that look to me for leadership.

      Unsettling, but thus it is, so often, with truth.

      Delete
  11. Andrew, first, While You Were Sleeping is one of my favorite movies. :) Second, the photos are beautiful and perfect for your poems. Third, your poems . . . spark an anticipation of one day being in heaven, seeing the vibrancy of colors we can't put words to here on earth, meeting people I've read about, read their words, and those I also know. And especiallyt seeing Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, thank you for all three points! I haven't seen While You Were Sleeping for years. I'm looking forward to it.

      I'm so glad you like the pictures. I am learning...Barb is the photographer, but she's not fond of early rising.

      And Heaven is better than you can ever imagine. It's just so much FUN.

      Delete
  12. Wow! What a privilege to have an experience of Heaven already! I know a couple of you special ones now. Have you written any more about it?
    I really like that film too. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete