Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Your Dying Spouse 201 - A Patient's Prayer

We're linked with Messy Marriage's From Messes To Messages; drop by or great marriage wisdom!

Oh Lord, I don't like being sick, but your will is done through the world. I don't understand it, but with Your help I can accept it.

Please help me be grateful for the blessings that are still in my life, and please help me to grieve what I have lost, if grieve I must, without bitterness.

Please help me to look ahead, even if for a day. Keep me from the endless reminisces that fix my mind on what seems a brighter past, for that past is a painted fiction, and today will always seem darker in comparison with such fantasy.

Please keep my gratitude for my caregiving spouse foremost in my mind, even when I am in discomfort and pain. Please help me keep my words moderate, and my temperament even. Please help me, Lord, to filter my words before I say them, for the most important words in life and marriage are the angry and bitter ones we choose not to say.

Please help me to give an accurate description of my condition, neither minimizing nor exaggerating. My caregiving spouse needs to know the truth, even if it's ugly, but should never by manipulated through pity compelled by exaggeration.

Please help me to do what I can for myself, and to try every day to keep my condition to as little of a burden as possible. Please keep me from being impatient or demanding; my spouse has a life, and I must respect that not everything revolves around me.

Please help me not to shy away from the difficult questions that lead to a loss of independence. Such things, perhaps, must be, and while optimism and hope are needed, denial only makes the road harder.

Above all, Lord, please help to to keep in mind that Your Son preceded me in Death, nd that in the Resurrection He has paved a way for me; a road that I need not fear.

Amen.

Marley update...he's received a lot of support, but STILL NEEDS HELP TO BE SAVED.

WE ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE!

He's up to nearly 200,000 signatures, but the local authorities are dragging their feet. They think that we'll give up and go away. We won't.

If you have a mment, I'd like to ask you to visit Change.org to consider a petition to free a 'death row dog' who has been separated from his family for ten months over a misunderstanding. Marley was saved from Afghanistan by a US serviceman; please help make sure this story doesn't end in needless tragedy! Marley's gotten a lot of support...but he still needs our help.


If you can, please do leave a comment. I am trying to answer all, and I am failing, but please know this - I read and treasure each one.

Below are my recent releases on Kindle -please excuse their presence in the body of the blog. I haven't the energy to get them up as 'buttons' in the sidebar. You can click on the covers to go to the Amazon links.







13 comments:

  1. What a beautiful prayer and perspective, Andrew. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you, Jeanne, for being here to read it...I so appreciate your presence.

      Delete
  2. I love not only the humble vulnerability that you express in this prayer, Andrew, but how inspiring and helpful it is for all who face chronic and terminal illnesses. "My" prayer is that these hurting people will voice this prayer to the Lord and feel His comfort and grace lifting them in their desperate situation.

    I hope you are doing better today, Andrew, though I know you're probably not. You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, thank you for the lovely and haunting addition...wow. Super!

      The days are interesting. I find myself more optimistic and hopeful, though physically it's getting tougher, pain getting worse (and in NEW IMPROVED ways!).

      But I will take the optimism and hope, because they are a blessing and a gift.

      As are your thoughts and prayers, my friend.

      Delete
  3. Oh Andrew.
    I'm fearful that you'll go tonight because this is pretty much perfection. No more needs to be said. You have captured every single detail and aspect.

    What a transformation from the bravado of independence when we first met! God is mightily at work in you.

    Really. I can't comment much because I'm at a loss for words in the loveliness of all of this. Thank you. May I be this gracious if ever I am incapacitated in any manner.

    God will honor this prayer. And you honor Him greatly.
    Love,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, Tammy, thanks! (And I am so glad to still be here!)

      Yes, there was a lot of bravao in the past; a lot of moto slogans distilled into something that was useful at the time. But having seen the elephant, as they say, I find that it has changed me drastically.

      And I like myself better now. It's been worth it. Wouldn't trade.

      It's my honour to be able to honour God.

      And Tammy, if you ever faced this, the faith that is resident in your heart would create a graciousness that would humble all the saints, and make the Almighty say, "Like, WOW!"

      Love back, dear friend.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful prayer to our Father in Heaven...praying with you, Andrew! Nothing more can I find to say...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, you said it all. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Norma, the Glory is indeed His Alone. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that we don't have to understand in order to accept. It takes the pressure off. And God knows that we don't need to put any more pressure on ourselves. Blessings to you, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful, Andrew. May we all be as you are when we face death.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this Andrew. YES!! You can and ARE making a difference in His Kingdom, even now. My Mum did too: in fact those last few months of hers were powerful. Truth was bluntly spoken from her lips and much needed, encouragement I'll never ever forget that has carried me and the strength of her surrender the most stunning of all (and I know that sounds contradictory to many: but I'm pretty sure not to you- because even in this post I see that surrender): the power of God was never so prevalent as then. May God continue to pour Himself in and out of you. You are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete