Well...it was pretty ominous, if only for the music that was popular that year. Could have been worse, though. Could have been disco.
All that aside, a New Year is a new page. It has the feeling of a fresh start, and while a lot of people - including me - tend to play it down, we really shouldn't. Playing it down is turning your back on an opportunity.
What's the best way to start a new year? Almost everyone has their own method - and unfortunately, many of those methods result in disappointment. Goals aren't reached, resolutions aren't kept, and the shine of the new takes on a quick tarnish.
So...here are some suggestions that I hope will help, and that I pray will keep the coming year shining, in some small way.
- Get a new calendar. Even if yours has an extra month or two...start with a fresh one.It's a visual reminder of newness, and doesn't drag all the notes and appointments and their associated memories into the coming year.
- Start the new year at work in a new outfit, or at least a couple of new accessories.
- Don't make any resolutions. At All. Stay off that road to disappointment.
- Eat out somewhere you've never been...even if it's choosing a local hamburger place over the Golden Arches.
- Hang a picture of somewhere you've never been, but would love to visit. Don't make it a 'resolution' to get there this year. Just keep it as a hope for 'someday'.
- Clean the screens on your TV and computer.They are a window on the world.
Simpole things...almost trivial...but each of them will give you aquick feel-good glow, and taken together they'll help you get the coming year off to a bright, fresh, and positive start.