Why we're here...

Love and marriage are the greatest adventures in life, and they point they way to our relationship with the Almighty.

We're honored to be a member of the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association...click on their logo to visit them.

undefined

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Past Forgiveness

On Facebook, I just signed a petition demanding the harshest punishment possible for a man who dragged a dog behind his car as 'punishment' for killing a couple of chicks. There was a picture of the dog - still alive at the end of its ordeal.

I can forgive a lot of things that have been done to me. It's personal, and so it's easier to somehow work my way out from under the accumulated weight of hatred.

But this? My first response would be to shoot the man in the head. That would be the second response, too. In fact, on the 'optional actions' list...that's all there is.

Is there something wrong with my soul? Am I a shell of a Christian only, with the heart and soul of a savage?

It may be self-serving, but I don't think so. What speaks to the heart in a case like this is the abuse of innocence, the deliberate actions that this man took to accomplish his evil on a creature that didn't understand what was happening.

It's the abuse of a position of power, and the enjoyment of tormenting someone weaker.

And that is unacceptable. Unacceptable for a society, unacceptable for me.

If I manufactured forgiveness, looking at this monster as a misguided but still beloved Child of God, I'd be diluting and bleaching the faith that I have..and implicit if that faith is a love of Right and a hatred - yes, hatred - for Wrong.

So I don't forgive him, or those like him. Pursue them to the ends of the earth, and kill them.


No comments:

Post a Comment